Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How water do I actually boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Nexus555
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How water do I actually boil?

Ok I really wasn't worrying too much about this, and then I thought: If I add 3.3 pounds of amber extract, 3.3 pounds of dark malt extract, steep specialty grains, and add 2 ounces of hops, won't that increase the volume in the kettle pretty drastically?

I have a 3 gallon brew kettle. I am going to boil 2.5 gallons of water, toss it in the primary. Then I am going to do 2.5 gallons of water and add ingriedents. Will this still work? Obviously 2.5 gallons + 2.5 gallons = 5, but with the extract, wouldn't it be a bit more? What do you guys think I should do or is it really not a concern?

Also I was wanting to transfer to the secondary for clearing a little bit. I have a 6.5 gallon plastic for primary and 5 gallon carboy for secondary. If it's a little over 5, wouldn't it not fit in the container?

Thanks for the suggestions. BTW I'm brewing Big River Brown Ale . Has anyone ever tried this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I typically go to 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, because you lose some volume to the trub.

LME runs 10-12 lbs per gallon.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The directions specify 1.5 - 2 gallons of water for your steep and boil. I would follow that since the amount of grain, etc are specifcally callibrated.

There are advantages to doing a smaller volume boils for extract and since this style doesn't have a big hop profile, I'd stick toward 1.5 if you were concerned about boiling over or closer to 2 if you thought you might scorch.

Remember, when you change vessels (Boil pot to Primary... Primary to Secondary) you are going to lose volume. In other words, RDWHAHB.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 03-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Nexus555
Recipes 

Thanks guys, that really answered a bunch of questions!!

One thing though. I think I'm going to quit ordering from Midwest Supplies. I ordered my ingriedents yesterday (Tuesday), and the estimated delivery time was 3 days. So I figured that I should get it by Friday, and do my boil Saturday with a friend of mine.

Well turns out I got an email just now that says it will take Midwest 48 hours to get it shipped out, NOT including Fed Ex time. So that means that my plans for this weekend are utterly ruined! When I ordered my kit, I did not get this delay (well I live in LA and we had mardi gras holiday Mon & Tues so it did take a bit longer.) But this is crazy, considering it's $10.00 for shipping.

Also about Midwest, I was going to order and extra packet of dry yeast, in case any problems arise. Well what do you know, $10.00 shipping for a $1.00 item. The cheapest shipping option they have is $5.00. That's a little steep for a $1.00 product that weighs in at a mere few grams.

What are some good, reliable, and decent priced ingriedent sites out there? Thanks!!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Your best bet may be to find a local place. I order a bunch of my stuff online but when it comes to being able to run out and gran a packet of yeast at the last minute or a racking cane because I broke mine AGAIN a local place with bad selection and not so great prices beats out an online store that takes a week to ship stuff

Online stores I prefer are
http://www.northernbrewer.com/
http://www.homebrewheaven.com/
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/

Old 03-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Nexus555
Recipes 

Thanks. The only problem is that I'm having a hard time finding a local brew shop. I live in Louisiana (about 10-15 minutes from Baton Rouge) and from my understanding the nearest place is by the LSU campus, which is about a good 20-25 minute drive at least (so an hour long venture for a packet of yeast.) Kind of sucks that there aren't many brew shops around here (at least to my knowledge.)

Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

yeah but an hour trip sure beats waiting for shipping and ruining of your brew day

I did a real quick googlesearch and found a club in your area that may be able to point out a store or 2 . . .
http://hbd.org/redstick/

also found this, but no website Bootleggers Brewing Supply

Last edited by Pumbaa; 03-07-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Moundbrewer
Recipes 

Try this California HomeBrew club. http://www.maltosefalcons.com/other/ They can probably help you find a local source that isn't across the country like Midwest and Northern.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

20-25 minutes?

Count yourself among the blessed. I have two stores I can pick from - each 60-70 minutes away (each way). I'm lucky in that one of them is a very nice little shop, but I would kill to have it only be twenty minutes away.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
Moundbrewer
Recipes 

Whoops...I thought it was LA Calf sorry.

Quick Reply