Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to use oxygen to aerate wort?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #81
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
Yeah, that's what I get for posting in a hurry! You definitely get some yeast reproduction in the wort, but the yeast should be built up and ready to go before it's pitched. In other words, you don't want the entire reproductive phase to take place in the wort. It's especially important in the case of liquid yeasts which need to be roused out of a deep sleep (I don't know the proper term). Not only is it not ready for fermentation, it's not ready yet to reproduce. So you don't want to just pitch a vial or smack pack and hit it with oxygen.

As far as over-aeration, I really don't know the how or why. I'm just repeating what I'm reading about it. Check out the link from my previous post.
Funny. We were both saying the same thing. But in different ways.
__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
pabloj13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #82
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashland, Ohio
Posts: 218
Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Funny. We were both saying the same thing. But in different ways.
Yeah, sometimes I'll go back and look at what I posted and think "why did I say it like that"!!
__________________
Minky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #83
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashland, Ohio
Posts: 218
Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

OK, so here's the results of my experiment. Last Friday I brewed the Stone Levitation clone that was featured on Jamil's show (5gal.). My OG was 1.054 and the only aeration it got was falling out of the end of the tubing from my counterflow chiller which was placed at the mouth of my fermenter, and then whatever it may have gotten from carrying it down the basement stairs. I pitched one package of US-05 which I rehydrated at 90 deg. per Eric Watson's instructions. My original plan was to pitch 2 packs, but I wanted to see how quickly it would take off. When I checked it next morning, there wasn't a lot of activity, so I got nervous and went ahead and pitched the other pack without rehydration. A nice krauesen appeared later that day.

The fermentation was nice and steady with a small amount of blowoff from my 6.5 Better Bottle. Most of the bubbling had stopped by Tuesday night. I checked the SG tonight and it was 1.013 which is right in the expected 3.2 to 3.3 Plato range which was expected. The hydrometer sample tasted as good as could be expected.

I wonder what would have been the result if I had only pitched the one yeast pack? Will the beer lack that certain something that Jamil says will it will when there's not enough reproduction in the wort?

I do know one thing. I've had beers that I aerated normally that didn't ferment out as trouble-free as this one. Now, what does it all mean???!!!!

__________________
Minky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #84
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,334
Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky
OK, so here's the results of my experiment. Last Friday I brewed the Stone Levitation clone that was featured on Jamil's show (5gal.). My OG was 1.054 and the only aeration it got was falling out of the end of the tubing from my counterflow chiller which was placed at the mouth of my fermenter, and then whatever it may have gotten from carrying it down the basement stairs. I pitched one package of US-05 which I rehydrated at 90 deg. per Eric Watson's instructions. My original plan was to pitch 2 packs, but I wanted to see how quickly it would take off. When I checked it next morning, there wasn't a lot of activity, so I got nervous and went ahead and pitched the other pack without rehydration. A nice krauesen appeared later that day.

The fermentation was nice and steady with a small amount of blowoff from my 6.5 Better Bottle. Most of the bubbling had stopped by Tuesday night. I checked the SG tonight and it was 1.013 which is right in the expected 3.2 to 3.3 Plato range which was expected. The hydrometer sample tasted as good as could be expected.

I wonder what would have been the result if I had only pitched the one yeast pack? Will the beer lack that certain something that Jamil says will it will when there's not enough reproduction in the wort?

I do know one thing. I've had beers that I aerated normally that didn't ferment out as trouble-free as this one. Now, what does it all mean???!!!!
In reality to properly conduct this experiment you actually need to brew 2identical beers and properly aerate and pitch one and do the experiment on the other. You need a control batch basically. Then when you taste the final product side by side you have comparison between the two.
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #85
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashland, Ohio
Posts: 218
Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
In reality to properly conduct this experiment you actually need to brew 2identical beers and properly aerate and pitch one and do the experiment on the other. You need a control batch basically. Then when you taste the final product side by side you have comparison between the two.
Yeah, what you said. D'oh !! I was so preoccupied with whether or not I would get a decent fermentation that I wasn't even thinking about the taste.
__________________
Minky is offline
duboman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #86
grathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,064
Liked 129 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

Dry yeast comes oxygenated. And US-05 would have very little flavor additions from underpitching or starving the oxygen anyways.

__________________
grathan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #87
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
earwig's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 827
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13

Yes, childish. We can debate all day long about this, there's zero need to get personal.
When did I get personal?

Moderator Edit: When you called another member an arrogant freak and shared a link to mental retardation that you said reminded you of the same member. This is over the line, and it happened after another moderator had already warned you. If you do not take mod warnings seriously you will be taking a vacation from HBT
__________________
earwig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #88
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,230
Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default

Knock it off. Go outside and swing your purses at each other.

__________________

*******
Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #89
Damian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter1932 View Post
Actually you only need to use pure oxygen for approx. 20-40 secs. provided its added as fine bubbles and not a big blast.
If I do double or triple batches do I double or triple the time I add oxygen.
__________________
Damian is offline
dracus Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #90
brewguyver
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brewguyver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,228
Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Heard an interesting discussion on brew strong recently (older recording) - they were saying the oxygen transfer happen at the surface of the wort when you bubble oxygen. The small bubbles pull more poorly oxygenated wort at the bottom of the fermenter up to the top where O2 exchange can occur. I may have missed a few points, but I thought that was pretty interesting.

__________________

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

brewguyver is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to aerate Wort? IwanaBrich Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 42 10-20-2013 05:04 PM
using medical oxygen to aerate jereme Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 12-17-2011 09:07 PM
Aerate the Wort! anewsong40 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 04-25-2010 05:12 AM
Those who use oxygen canisters to aerate... Beernewb Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 08-21-2009 12:55 PM
Aerate the Wort and other question RedDragon Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-16-2009 05:06 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS