Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to use oxygen to aerate wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #61
BadBeagleBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis123 View Post
If you blow into the wort aren't you producing & introducing C02?
I was just being a smart a$$, don't ever blow into your wort thats a bad idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #62
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

The problem with the aeration/stirring suggestions are that you are going to saturate at a lower O2 concentration than needed if you are brewing a high gravity beer because you are limited by atmospheric O2 concentration. The only way to reach a higher O2 (i.e. >8PPM) is with oxygen. Now can you brew great beer without oxygenation? Sure. But if you are trying to get over 8ppm, you can stir til the cows come home, it isn't happening. Especially with higher gravity worts that will not be able to absorb as much oxygen.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #63
travis123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A wild thought :- My Son has fish tanks in which he has pumps running to keep up the level of oxygen in the water. Yes it is air & not pure oxygen, however, If I was to plumb in a similar system to my fermenter to keep a constant trickle if air into the wort would or should this help the Yeast?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #64
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 46

It would help the yeast at first , but then ruin your beer as the alcohol develops.

I wanted to chime in about the over saturation of 02. I let my tank run through a stone(0.5 micron) at full blast (tons of air bubbles reaching the surface) for the whole transfer from kettle to fermenter (about 20 minutes) with no noticeable effects. I wouldn't know that it only required under a minute until I read this thread though.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #65
travis123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wise thought thankyou for the reply

Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #66
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
The problem with the aeration/stirring suggestions are that you are going to saturate at a lower O2 concentration than needed if you are brewing a high gravity beer because you are limited by atmospheric O2 concentration. The only way to reach a higher O2 (i.e. >8PPM) is with oxygen. Now can you brew great beer without oxygenation? Sure. But if you are trying to get over 8ppm, you can stir til the cows come home, it isn't happening. Especially with higher gravity worts that will not be able to absorb as much oxygen.
Another good reason for building up your yeast to the proper cell count with a properly oxygenated starter or dry yeast rather than growing your yeast in the wort.

Fermentation requires no oxygen.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #67
travis123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good minds are at work

Regards Travis

Question:- Is Yeast like Leaf on a tree, it absorbs oxygen & produces CO2? (All living organisms require oxygen?)

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #68
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
Another good reason for building up your yeast to the proper cell count with a properly oxygenated starter or dry yeast rather than growing your yeast in the wort.

So you build up 800 billion cells in your starter? That's just plain silly.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #69
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post

I've got news for you. You ARE growing yeast in your wort, even with dry yeast or a big starter. You actually want some of the flavors produced during the growth phase to be in your beer (dependent on style, of course).

I make 4L starters on a stir plate. I also use pure O2. Both contribute to making the best beer possible, imho.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #70
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
I've got news for you. You ARE growing yeast in your wort, even with dry yeast or a big starter. You actually want some of the flavors produced during the growth phase to be in your beer (dependent on style, of course).

I make 4L starters on a stir plate. I also use pure O2. Both contribute to making the best beer possible, imho.
I have no problem with what you're saying, but my response had to do with the fact that it is true that it is very difficult to achieve adequate levels of oxygen in higher gravity wort. Even in lower gravity wort you shouldn't expect that you can pitch a smack pack, hit it with some indeterminate amount of oxygen and expect good results. If you pitch enough healthyyeast you don't need to worry about massive injections of pure O2. You will still want to aerate, but you don't have to be so concerned about getting enough in solution or retaining it long enough for adequate yeast growth.

Quick Reply