The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to use oxygen to aerate wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #51
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Glad I found this thread before starting another. Clearly yeast need oxygen, not nitrogen, co2, methane, or any of the other components of "air". My grandma who is awesome, gave me a full and quite large medical tank with a regulator(for brewing). I plan on getting a defusing stone or potentially just going with the Williams wand. Does anyone have any advice as to how to best use this tank to get oxygen to my yeast? What is the best tubing to use and is the aquarium supply route the easiest and cheapest?

Thanks.
I have the Williams wand, and its pretty convenient.
Having said that, the Oxygen stone is 2 microns. Austin Home Brew sells an oxygenation system with a 0.5 micron stone. I wonder if those bubbles are more easily absorbed by (dissolved into) the wort? You can use some stainless steel nuts to weigh down the stone, because the plastic tubing will make it float.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #52
travis123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have my mixing bucket on the bench full of Wort & my Fermenter below it, I open the tap on the bucket & let the Wort drop into the Fermenter adding the yeast as it drops. This gives "plenty" of aeration & I get a bubble in the air-lock within the hour.

Works for me.

Regards Travis

Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #53
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>I have my mixing bucket on the bench full of Wort & my Fermenter below it, I open the tap on the bucket & let the Wort drop into the Fermenter adding the yeast as it drops. This gives "plenty" of aeration

Probably not.

It's not that your yeast wont make beer, of course they will. But they would probably benefit from more dissolved Oxygen.

>>Works for me.

Just because you don't perceive any problems when your process is not good, doesn't mean it's ok.

If you don't do a lot of things, you will still get beer. The objective is to make great beer, not "ok" beer.

You don't have to make a yeast starter. You can under pitch and you will get beer.
"I never make a yeast starter, get a bubble in the air-lock within the hour. Works for me."

You don't have to clean so well, you might not get an infection.
"I just rinse out my plate chiller, I don't bother soaking it in PBW or Starsan, I've never gotten an infection. Works for me."

You don't have to ferment at correct temperatures, you will still get beer.
"My fermentor is in my garage, and the temperature fluctuates by 20 degrees daily. My beer tastes great. My friends Bubba and JoeBob never detect any off flavors. Works for me."

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #54
travis123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have access to disovled oxygen, however methane is not a problem

Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #55
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat
Hmm... before I found this thread, I was advised that an easy way to aerate your wort was with a paint mixer attachment on a drill. So I bought one at Home Depot and gave it a good wash - is it safe to use this in my wort, even though it was intended (but never yet used for) mixing paint? Will 2-3 minutes of vigorous mixing with this thing on my drill sufficiently aerate my wort?
That's exactly what I do, in addition to properly sized starters, with great success. Cheers!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #56
travis123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your comments I treat with almost contempt, your initial reply "probably not" indicates no knowledge of the procedure I described & you have obviously not tried it? The method I use actually creates an immense amount of oxygenation. Your cynical anecdotes of "it works for me" is a little undermining of the brewers out there like me who try different methods & "yes" it works for me & them.

As a Senior Manager with a large Utility, I would never rebuff a suggestion or a procedure or process without checking it out to see iff it did or didn't work (there is profit to be made from an idea)

Here in the UK we have really good local Brewers, my goal is to taste a good beer in a Pub & replicate it at home (& I do)

I attend Brewery tours, listen to the Brewer in Charge, ask questions & act on the answers.

(I also buy my grain & yeast from a local Brewer)

I am no Spring Chicken

Regards Travis

Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #57
BadBeagleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This is getting heated, I use a tube with a motorcycle fuel filter and blow through it for a few secs. Great beer every time.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #58
roymeo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
>>I have my mixing bucket on the bench full of Wort & my Fermenter below it, I open the tap on the bucket & let the Wort drop into the Fermenter adding the yeast as it drops. This gives "plenty" of aeration

Probably not.

It's not that your yeast wont make beer, of course they will. But they would probably benefit from more dissolved Oxygen.

>>Works for me.

Just because you don't perceive any problems when your process is not good, doesn't mean it's ok.

If you don't do a lot of things, you will still get beer. The objective is to make great beer, not "ok" beer.

You don't have to make a yeast starter. You can under pitch and you will get beer.
"I never make a yeast starter, get a bubble in the air-lock within the hour. Works for me."

You don't have to clean so well, you might not get an infection.
"I just rinse out my plate chiller, I don't bother soaking it in PBW or Starsan, I've never gotten an infection. Works for me."

You don't have to ferment at correct temperatures, you will still get beer.
"My fermentor is in my garage, and the temperature fluctuates by 20 degrees daily. My beer tastes great. My friends Bubba and JoeBob never detect any off flavors. Works for me."
All of those are potential ways of improving, or at least not infecting, beer. You can also take it further than your current process in some way or another (autoclave?).

But just because X, Y, and Z are good practices which improve beer quality and/or reduce risk, that does not in itself mean that O2 is needed to be added via tank and stone. There may be proof that this method makes superior beer, but those aren't it.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #59
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've been hooking a large conical strainer to my primary and dumping the wort through, then moving the strainer to the kettle and dumping the wort back.

I do this a few times and with each pass I collect hops and sediment plus aerate the wort. I then shake my primary before and after pitching to ensure there's plenty of O2.

I've always been at or under my est. FG and the beers taste excellent!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #60
travis123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you blow into the wort aren't you producing & introducing C02?

Quick Reply