New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to use oxygen to aerate wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
if not, do any of you williams regulator users have a specific place you set the dial to know what rate you are pumping o2 in?
It's simple. Watch the bubbles. If most of them are reaching the top, you're using too much.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
OldStyler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You guys sound like you're in this pretty deep, but I'm going to go ahead and cite Palmer when he states that using pure oxygen vs stirring/pouring back and forth, while the differences are nearly impossible to discern immediately, the pure oxygen brews routinely score lower than the stirred-in air approach.

I don't think "unfiltered" air should be of any great concern unless you're brewing in a lumber yard or a factory or something.

That being said, I realize it can be fun to make things a little more complicated...

Old 11-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyler View Post
You guys sound like you're in this pretty deep, but I'm going to go ahead and cite Palmer when he states that using pure oxygen vs stirring/pouring back and forth, while the differences are nearly impossible to discern immediately, the pure oxygen brews routinely score lower than the stirred-in air approach.

I don't think "unfiltered" air should be of any great concern unless you're brewing in a lumber yard or a factory or something.

That being said, I realize it can be fun to make things a little more complicated...
If you don't mind, could you link to where Palmer said that the pure oxygen brews score lower than the stirred ones? I couldn't find it in How To Brew. I either overlooked it or perhaps it was somewhere else? Thanks.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #24
dnichols
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys this might sound crazy but here is a very cool article about an alternate method to aeration. Give it a look.

http://brewcrazy.com/hull-olive-oil-thesis.pdf

On Deck: Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Primary 1: Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest
Primary 2: Hard Cider made from own apples
Secondary: More Hard cider
Kegged: Cristal - almost gone :-(
1) Hard Cider

Old 11-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #25
neomantra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The olive oil thing has been discussed at length here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/using-olive-oil-instead-oxygen-47872/

Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #26
dnichols
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomantra View Post
The olive oil thing has been discussed at length here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/using-olive-oil-instead-oxygen-47872/
Sorry just never saw it. Thanks for the heads up.

On Deck: Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Primary 1: Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest
Primary 2: Hard Cider made from own apples
Secondary: More Hard cider
Kegged: Cristal - almost gone :-(
1) Hard Cider

Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #27
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyler View Post

There's nothing complicated about aerating with O2 at all. In fact, I think it's much easier than pouring back and forth or shaking a heavy carboy/bucket.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #28
jdlawlis
Recipes 

Default oxygen preferred by professional brewers

I was talking to a master brewer in Albuquerque, NM about aeration of wort, and I mentioned that I used an aquarium pump and a sintered stone. He told me that I should consider purchasing an oxygen tank to aerate the wort, because it is relatively inexpensive and does a better job of increasing the partial pressure of oxygen in the wort. If there was an effect on taste, I am pretty sure that he would have learned this through the American Brewer's Guild, where he earned his degree.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #29
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Hmm... before I found this thread, I was advised that an easy way to aerate your wort was with a paint mixer attachment on a drill. So I bought one at Home Depot and gave it a good wash - is it safe to use this in my wort, even though it was intended (but never yet used for) mixing paint? Will 2-3 minutes of vigorous mixing with this thing on my drill sufficiently aerate my wort?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
Bobby, do you use one of the williams regulators? Are there numbers on the dial or something to know what LPM you are running it at?

if not, do any of you williams regulator users have a specific place you set the dial to know what rate you are pumping o2 in?
I think it's a stretch to call that thing a regulator since it does not regulate at all as far as i can tell. for the price of that kit you are half way to a O2 cylinder that would last for hundreds of batches if not more, a real regulator would be around $40 at harbor freight.

Quick Reply