The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to use 1-gallon carboys?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
surista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to use 1-gallon carboys?

I picked up a couple of one-gallon glass carboys not too long ago. They look *fantastic*

However, after making a couple of micro-batches, I have some questions - things came out OK, but it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked:

1) Siphoning: any good hints on how to siphon? I have an auto-siphon but I can't use it because the opening on the carboy is far too small to let anything but the end of the tube in.

2) Bottling: Sort of the same problem here; bottling was sort of OK; I was able to use a funnel on the beer bottle end, and used my (sanitized) thumb over the end of the tube to fill up the bottles. But this resulted in quite a bit of 'foaming' because the bottle was filling up so fast. I suspect this resulted in not a little bit of oxygen getting into the mix...What's the best way to control the flow rate and be able to stop/start the flow for bottling?

3) Cleaning: I have a nice long brush that fits into the neck of the carboy - but it's not like I can get my hand inside it to scrub all over. I can get the bottom and around the edge of the bottom, but that's about it. What's the best way to clean something you can't really get into?

Txs in advance for any tips!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My 1-gallon jugs use size 8.5 stoppers, and I don't have any problems with them, other than that they are a bitch of clean. They are re-purposed apple juice/apple cider jugs that I picked up for about $6 (filled with juice/cider). You might try the small auto-siphon that is designed for 1-gallon carboys. Those seem to be a bit skinnier than the larger models.

As far as bottling, it sounds like you didn't use a bottling bucket, nor a bottling wand. I would definitely make that investment for increased flavor stability.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
surista
Recipes 

ArcaneXor, do you siphon the liquid from the 1-gallon jugs into a bottling bucket specifically for bottling? I do have a couple of large buckets with spigots etc for use with bottling wands - I was worried that moving the liquid around that much wouldn't be good for it, but in hindsight - it probably would have been better than the splashing around I got as it was....

Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

get some oxiclean for cleaning

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You can buy the smaller auto siphon for the 1 gallons size. If you are going to use your gallons very often it's not a bad purchase.

+1 on both the bottling bucket and Oxiclean!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i use them for making wine, picked em up through freecycle they were used gallon bottles for vinegar. i have a smaller/shorter auto siphon, fits just fine.
http://en.sevenload.com/shows/Basic-Brewing/episodes
these guys do a bunch of 6 pack batches...

also oxyclean for cleaning.
any tough spots i fill a little less then 1/3 and shake the hell out of it..

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Last edited by Rowdy; 02-16-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surista View Post
ArcaneXor, do you siphon the liquid from the 1-gallon jugs into a bottling bucket specifically for bottling? I do have a couple of large buckets with spigots etc for use with bottling wands - I was worried that moving the liquid around that much wouldn't be good for it, but in hindsight - it probably would have been better than the splashing around I got as it was....
I use a bottling bucket no matter what size batch I brew, unless I make a still mead- then I bottle from the fermenter.
Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Quick Reply