How to top off fermenter with water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekapaug19

Reaction score
Read a lot and didn't see this exact question, sorry if it has been answered before. When putting the cooled wort into the primary, can you just dump it in? does it have to be siphoned? (racking? not sure thats that the correct term)

And to top it off with water, can you just dump in the water to reach the 5 gallons? I brewed my first batch 10 days ago. Cooled the wort down to 70 degrees in a icewater bath in the tub, dumped it into the primary bucket, then topped off with water but dumped it in, didn't pour it in slowly. Is this going to cause a problem?

Thanks.

no issue dumping it in directly

in fact the more turbulence, the better because you are adding oxygen to the wort, which the yeast need before fermentation starts

generally once you have picthed your yeast you don't want to introduce oxygen to the beer, but it is necessary and encouraged to do so before you pitch

Also, make sure any excess water added to the primary has been previously boiled to sanitize (I always pre-boil a couple gallons before brew-time just in case I have excess evaporation during the boil)

sounds good....thanks for the reply. didn't boil the water but we have generally good water here so hopefully I'll be fine for this batch. will probably do this going forward though. thanks again.....learning tons of info on this site everyday

before I switched to full boils I used to top up from the faucet with no ill effects. If you pitchafter topping up the yeast should take over pretty fast then no worries

Please excuse me for not contributing to the topic but I wanted to tell you I have two batches on right now that are coming with me to cuyahoga falls and probably the maryland shows. One is called dancing wookie belgian white ale and the other is called punch you in the ipa. Im really excited bout them

Just wanted to add that after adding the cooled wart to the fermenter with the top off water,stir or shake it vigorously to mix them well. This adds air before you take your OG reading & pitch. just my 2c...:mug:

Please excuse me for not contributing to the topic but I wanted to tell you I have two batches on right now that are coming with me to cuyahoga falls and probably the maryland shows. One is called dancing wookie belgian white ale and the other is called punch you in the ipa. Im really excited bout them

nice...enjoy the shows. Superball for me.

Back