Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to take a reading from a fermenting carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
trizzant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to take a reading from a fermenting carboy?

I've had my first brew in primary 6.5gl carboy since Tuesday. I plan on waiting a full 2 weeks before dry hopping to a secondary 5gl carboy. Between now and then what is best way to take hydrometer readings without disrupting the fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Short answer would be sanitized turkey baster, or a Fermtech Wine Thief.

Slightly longer answer: check out the similar threads at the bottom of the page. There are dozens like it for your reading pleasure.

-Joe

Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 810

If you have a wine thief, that's the easiest. I often use a turkey baster, but it's hard to reach 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy, so that's most useful in a bucket ("ale pail").

Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
trizzant
Recipes 

Thanks, wine thief it is

Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
hotbrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

As mentioned above, a turkey baster is best. In lieu of a turkey baster or wine thief though, you can always go to Dairy Queen or some other place that provides really long straws. Use those to reach into the carboy and place your finger over the top hole to grab a sample. Make sure to sanitize it beforehand though.

On Twitter @hotbrew

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm a lil preocupied with worrying about being killed by the mob because a homeless priest ran off with all of our drugs!"

Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Another option would be to get some tubing that will fit over the end (small diameter) of a flavor injector and use that to pull out about 2 ounces at a time. I would get a brand new injector, though, to make sure you don't have anything nasty get into your brew.

I was going to use that method, until I got used to using the glass wine thief. The wine thief is really easy to use, as well as clean. I know there are plastic ones that are larger, so you can get more of a sample in a single plunge. I'm just not sure how easy those would be to get clean. I suppose you could get a brush to get into them (not sure if the standard bottle brush would work, or not)... For the glass one, a soapy sponge for the outside, and run hot water through the inside after you use it. Sanitize just before using it, and you should be in great shape.

I would also suggest letting the brew go at least 2 weeks in primary. At that point, take a gravity reading. Give it a couple more days and take another reading. If it doesn't change after 2-3 readings, then fermentation is complete. I would probably dry hop into the same carboy too. That is, if you're planning on carbonating with sugar. Otherwise, you'll leave a good amount of yeast behind in secondary when you rack to the bottling bucket.

How long are you planning on dry hopping for? What brew did you make, for your first??

Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
rudu81
Recipes 

I use my auto siphon and use a finger to create a seal on the end.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use a turkey baster go to the 99 cent store they usually have them there. but if were you i wouldn't take so many hydrometer reading i personally just take two. You dont need to take a reading before dry hopping.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbrew View Post
Ayou can always go to Dairy Queen or some other place that provides really long straws. Use those to reach into the carboy and place your finger over the top hole to grab a sample. Make sure to sanitize it beforehand though.
s
this would only work if you if you were using a refractometer. A straw is no way to grab a sample for a hydrometer sample, unless you want to dip the straw in 60-70 times

Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
trizzant
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Another option would be to get some tubing that will fit over the end (small diameter) of a flavor injector and use that to pull out about 2 ounces at a time. I would get a brand new injector, though, to make sure you don't have anything nasty get into your brew.

I was going to use that method, until I got used to using the glass wine thief. The wine thief is really easy to use, as well as clean. I know there are plastic ones that are larger, so you can get more of a sample in a single plunge. I'm just not sure how easy those would be to get clean. I suppose you could get a brush to get into them (not sure if the standard bottle brush would work, or not)... For the glass one, a soapy sponge for the outside, and run hot water through the inside after you use it. Sanitize just before using it, and you should be in great shape.

I would also suggest letting the brew go at least 2 weeks in primary. At that point, take a gravity reading. Give it a couple more days and take another reading. If it doesn't change after 2-3 readings, then fermentation is complete. I would probably dry hop into the same carboy too. That is, if you're planning on carbonating with sugar. Otherwise, you'll leave a good amount of yeast behind in secondary when you rack to the bottling bucket.

How long are you planning on dry hopping for? What brew did you make, for your first??
I made an American IPA. I was thinking of dry hopping for 1 week and then over to a 5gl soda keg and continue to dry hop in it. I'm not bottling unless I plan on entering competitions later. Should I dry hop in the primary for an extra week and go straight to keg, skipping the secondary?

Quick Reply