The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to stop airlock gunk from getting in fermenter when moving fermenter...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Poincare
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to stop airlock gunk from getting in fermenter when moving fermenter...

Hi. Searched for 'airlock', 'sanitizer', 'fermenter' and various combinations but couldn't find anything. Anyway, I've had my fermenter in a swamp cooler here:

and (I've had this problem in the past) when I move the fermenter the crude in the airlock gets sucked into the beer because of pressure or whatnot. Just wondering how people move their fermenters without all that gunk getting sucked into the fermenter?

Should I just give the fermenter a big squeeze and blow all that crude out the airlock, then move it, then put some new sanitizer water back in the airlock?

This is for getting the fermenter ready so I can transfer to bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Pop the lid a little to break the seal and take off the air lock.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have read that putting the fermetor in like a milk crate helps a lot as you lift the crate not the fermentor and do not get as much flex in the fermentor.

For me I ferment in a better bottle and swap over to one of their dry trap airlocks when I need to move the fermentor. It uses an internal ball valve to let air escape but not let outside air in.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...tion-Lock.html

This airlock fits in a standard stopper so can be used anywhere you use a standard liquid airlock.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Last edited by Zen_Brew; 07-21-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: inserted better link

Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Poincare
Recipes 

Uhh.. won't that expose the beer to the outside air (by removing the airlock?!) and increase the potential for contamination?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't get crud in my airlocks. I do fill them with vodka and if I get suck back, I don't really care. It just adds to abv.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poincare View Post
Uhh.. won't that expose the beer to the outside air (by removing the airlock?!) and increase the potential for contamination?
Removing the airlock does allow a very brief exposure to outside air and oxygen but it is minimal. Plus you have alcohol and hops in there which make for a very low chance of contamination. Usually if I am moving the fermentor I am getting ready to do a transfer to a different container anyway so the beer is going to see a bit of exposure to the outside air anyway unless you transfer in a closed loop system.

Also +1 for EdWort's vodka suggestion. I usually use vodka in my airlocks as well just in case.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Last edited by Zen_Brew; 07-21-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Poincare
Recipes 

Ooohh, that better bottle with dry airlock looks sweet. Gotta slap one of those on my x-mas list.

So.... should I crack the fermenter lid a little to release some pressure in the fermenter so when moving it, ever so gently, it won't blow out...but then it woulc also suck outside air in from the crack in the lid....

Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Trubadour
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I don't get crud in my airlocks. I do fill them with vodka and if I get suck back, I don't really care. It just adds to abv.
+1000000000000

My Keezer

Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

dry airlock = aluminum foil

Beer is not fragile. Prior to bottling, the fermenter is a pretty inhospitable place. It is acidic, alcoholic, covered in a layer of CO2, and inhabited by tens of billions of yeast. Remember rule number one, relax.

As Loius Pastuer showed, just because a solution is exposed to air, it doesn't mean that bacteria are going to get in it. Microbes need a vector.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I have starsan in my airlocks so if it gets in, it is sanitizer and nothing "gunky" and has no effect on my beer whatsoever.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply