Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How soon to "cool" crash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
trevorc13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default How soon to "cool" crash

I made an imperial Irish red last friday. Fermentation was quick and seemed to settle down by the end of the day Monday (no I haven't checked the gravity yet). The krausen settled back down and the wort is still now. I've been maintaining a temp of between 64 and 68f to continue to clean up the by products of fermentation (its an Irish Ale yeast with temps suggested 62-72f) and have been using a brew belt to do so. It's almost been a week now and I'm hoping to let the temp settle back to room temp, which would be about 59-60 degrees..."cool crash" if you will. Let's assume the gravity has hit it's FG, should I continue the current temps (64-68f) or would it be okay to drop the temp to my basement temp (59-60f)?

Thanks for the input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I would keep it at fermentation temp for another week. Take a gravity reading and then take another gravity reading 2 days later to see if there is change. If not Cold crash it. (although many people don't cold crash and still have perfectly clear beers)

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I think I'll keep it at optimum temps for as long as possible. I guess I was wondering how long the yeast continues to clean up off flavors after fermentation ends. Also if 59-60f will completely crash the yeast when optimum temp is 62f+, or if they will still do their thing at this temp?

Thanks for the input

Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeast will usually continue to work at lower temps than advertised on the yeast package. Those temps are just the "optimal" temps. To effectively cold crash you really need to bring your carboy to a lagering temp, high 30's F.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
Yeast will usually continue to work at lower temps than advertised on the yeast package. Those temps are just the "optimal" temps. To effectively cold crash you really need to bring your carboy to a lagering temp, high 30's F.
+1 stay below 40F

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Ray Daniels and Randy Mosher suggest 35-40F. JZ and Palmer suggest 0-1C. I use 33-35F.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 03-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I won't be dropping it below about 59f, so I'm just worrying about the yeast health at that point.

Thanks for the input

Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorc13 View Post
Well I won't be dropping it below about 59f, so I'm just worrying about the yeast health at that point.
There should still be yeast cleaning up your beer at that temp, they'll just be doing it slower.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
There should still be yeast cleaning up your beer at that temp, they'll just be doing it slower.
Yep. +1

Quick Reply