Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How small can a partial boil be?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #21
ncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 34

My old edition of Complete Joy of Home Brewing (Second Edition, 1991) shows boiling with 1-1/2 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch. And my old Home Beermakers Guide by Leigh Beadle calls for 3 quarts of water. Those volumes are not ideal, but it will work. Late extract addition, as stated previously, would help also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp1 View Post
Doesn't fermentation begin as soon as you pitch the yeast, even if it can take a day or longer for visible signs of fermentation?
A very good question, honestly I would defer on answering that as I'm not sure. If the yeast were pitched, let's say, I strapped the carboy into the car, drove 15 mins, took it out and brought it inside I would think it would be safe. Maybe someone else could answer; I am curious now myself. I suppose you could drive your wort home and then pitch to be absolutely safe, in this situation.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
jvp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bell View Post
A very good question, honestly I would defer on answering that as I'm not sure. If the yeast were pitched, let's say, I strapped the carboy into the car, drove 15 mins, took it out and brought it inside I would think it would be safe. Maybe someone else could answer; I am curious now myself. I suppose you could drive your wort home and then pitch to be absolutely safe, in this situation.
That's what I was thinking -- I'm still a bit of an amateur. I did a batch recently I had to carry down 3 flights of stairs from my kitchen to my basement, and I didn't pitch until I made it all the way down just out of caution.

I'd imagine given the infancy of the fermentation that even while some oxidation might occur, it also might not be enough to be worried about... but better than safe than sorry, maybe.

Primary: Cooper's Cerveza
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning:
Bottled: Altbier, Mr. Beer IPA, Dodging the Draught, JVP Thrilsner, Sweet Caroline Honey Ale, Stout

Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp1 View Post
That's what I was thinking -- I'm still a bit of an amateur. I did a batch recently I had to carry down 3 flights of stairs from my kitchen to my basement, and I didn't pitch until I made it all the way down just out of caution.

I'd imagine given the infancy of the fermentation that even while some oxidation might occur, it also might not be enough to be worried about... but better than safe than sorry, maybe.
With all due respect, of course, IMO that's overkill. On all my batches brewed in the last 4 years, I've pitched yeast typically in the kitchen then carried my fermenter down the basement stairs (sometimes up to .5 hours later) with no ill effects. And, since I'm not a big drinker, I typically have my beers around for some time and would notice the effects of oxidation.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've never heard that there's any problem with oxegenation immediately after pitching. In fact I've seen it recommended when pitching dry yeast and I sometimes follow this method - sprinkle yeast on top, let sit for 20-30mins, then give the fermenter a good shake.

But do enlighten me if this is bad.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #26
kwingert
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think your fine with driving it home and if it adds O2 more the better. Many brewers Oxygenate when they first pitch and then do it again in a few hours. I think when your yeast start taking off is when you don't want to add oxygen.

Beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy-Franklin

Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #27
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

As long as there is oxygen in the solution, the yeast is in their reproductive phase. They don't start fermenting until they deplete the oxygen.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
Why not split all the ingredients in half and do two 1/2 boils. That is what I have been doing now for almost a year.
+1000

I did all-grain for 3 years doing a split boil on the stove-top before I finally got a propane burner.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
mattxhand
Recipes 

I know that I posted this thread a while ago, but I just wanted to follow up because there wa no definitive answer and brew day is tomorrow

I will be brewing the full 5 gallon batch and will need to transport it from the brewing location 15 minutes to my house. The drive is normal city driving minus traffic, so it should be a smooth ride. Should I pitch the yeast bofore or after I get home?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #30
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have always pitched it before my drive, even when the drive was significantly longer than that. Never had a bad batch.

Quick Reply