Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How small can a partial boil be?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
mr_bell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thinking...what about a late extract addition with a small volume boil, let's say 1.25 gallons. Use enough extract to get you to around (ballpark) your target gravity in that 1.25 gallons. Do your hop additions and boil as usual. At the end of the boil, add another gallon or so of water--so now about 2 gallons--and the remainder of your extract. Bring up to pasteurization temp (if it's not already there--I've heard 140 degrees) hold that temp for 10 mins let's say, then chill to desired temp. Add to your fermenter, top up to your final volume, aerate and pitch yeast?

Never done it that way myself, just trying to come up with a workable method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bell View Post
Thinking...what about a late extract addition with a small volume boil, let's say 1.25 gallons. Use enough extract to get you to around (ballpark) your target gravity in that 1.25 gallons. Do your hop additions and boil as usual. At the end of the boil, add another gallon or so of water--so now about 2 gallons--and the remainder of your extract. Bring up to pasteurization temp (if it's not already there--I've heard 140 degrees) hold that temp for 10 mins let's say, then chill to desired temp. Add to your fermenter, top up to your final volume, aerate and pitch yeast?

Never done it that way myself, just trying to come up with a workable method.
The late extract approach is your best bet. But better than adding the extra extract to the main pot at the end (becuase it will kill your boil and take a long time to get back up to boil) is to use a second pot for doing a short boil on the extract. Chill that seperately and it will also allow you to get everything cooled quicker. This approach works great for me.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattxhand View Post
My only option is going to my parents' house about 15 minutes away and transporting from there.

I guess my question now is if I do a five gallon batch there, could I transport the wort in my car from their house to mine and then pitch the yeast when I get home?
I have pitched yeast, put on an airlock, buckled in my carboy and driven home.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
Ma23456
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do you attempt to reach the boil with a covered pot? That will help keep the heat inside

Old 04-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
jonnyp1980
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofreak

I have pitched yeast, put on an airlock, buckled in my carboy and driven home.
Good luck and tell us how it comes out

http://www.youtube.com/user/Homebrew...?feature=watch

Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #16
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan View Post
The late extract approach is your best bet. But better than adding the extra extract to the main pot at the end (becuase it will kill your boil and take a long time to get back up to boil) is to use a second pot for doing a short boil on the extract. Chill that seperately and it will also allow you to get everything cooled quicker. This approach works great for me.
Having read this, perhaps I wasn't clear with my description. My method was suggesting adding additional water at flameout, and then the remainder of the extract. There was no need to bring it back up to a boil, just get the additional extract dissolved and, if above 140F hold it there for 10 mins or so to pasteurize. If the temp did go below 140F, add some heat to get it there and again, hold at 140F for 10 mins. Extract does not necessarily need to be boiled, only pasteurized, and that's really the key here.

Aidan's method works, with all due respect I was trying to avoid using a 2nd pot on a stove that is not very effective.

(I am a fan of Aidan's blog, btw)

Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #17
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Having read this, perhaps I wasn't clear with my description. My method was suggesting adding additional water at flameout, and then the remainder of the extract. There was no need to bring it back up to a boil, just get the additional extract dissolved and, if above 140F hold it there for 10 mins or so to pasteurize. If the temp did go below 140F, add some heat to get it there and again, hold at 140F for 10 mins. Extract does not necessarily need to be boiled, only pasteurized, and that's really the key here.

Aidan's method works, with all due respect I was trying to avoid using a 2nd pot on a stove that is not very effective.

(I am a fan of Aidan's blog, btw)
Thanks mr_bell! I'm not sure about the temp for pasterisiation, 140F seems a bit low to me. When I'm pasteurising gelatin (which you can't boil), I hold it at around 170F for 15 mins. I like to bring my extract to a boil to be sure, but maybe it's not necessary. But I also like the other advantage of the second pot - you don't have to wait for pasteurising the extract, you can have it done and cooled by the time your main boil is over.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
jvp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Is pitching and then driving unnecessarily risking adding oxygen, especially if there are any/many bumps along the way, not to mention picking up the thing and carrying it to its final spot?

Primary: Cooper's Cerveza
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning:
Bottled: Altbier, Mr. Beer IPA, Dodging the Draught, JVP Thrilsner, Sweet Caroline Honey Ale, Stout

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #19
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp1 View Post
Is pitching and then driving unnecessarily risking adding oxygen, especially if there are any/many bumps along the way, not to mention picking up the thing and carrying it to its final spot?
No, at that point in the process (prior to fermentation) adding oxygen would not be bad. I'm assuming you're not transporting it days later and not driving it for days. Never assume right? I'd be more concerned about the carboy tipping over; that would be a mess.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
jvp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
No, at that point in the process (prior to fermentation) adding oxygen would not be bad. I'm assuming you're not transporting it days later and not driving it for days. Never assume right? I'd be more concerned about the carboy tipping over; that would be a mess.
Doesn't fermentation begin as soon as you pitch the yeast, even if it can take a day or longer for visible signs of fermentation?

Primary: Cooper's Cerveza
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning:
Bottled: Altbier, Mr. Beer IPA, Dodging the Draught, JVP Thrilsner, Sweet Caroline Honey Ale, Stout

Quick Reply