Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to siphon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
BostonJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to siphon?

I got a siphon in my kit and need to transfer from the primary to the secondary. Need help in getting this contraption to work. I know I need to sanitize first but that's as far as I have got. Please help, I feel like a dumbass...Also, when do you know you are getting just beer and not setiment or "trub" I think that is what it is referred to as being. I'll get the lingo someday. Thanks for your help and it's ok to laugh at me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Sethwick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJ View Post
I got a siphon in my kit and need to transfer from the primary to the secondary. Need help in getting this contraption to work. I know I need to sanitize first but that's as far as I have got. Please help, I feel like a dumbass...Also, when do you know you are getting just beer and not setiment or "trub" I think that is what it is referred to as being. I'll get the lingo someday. Thanks for your help and it's ok to laugh at me.
Fill it completely with water \ saniter, plug the tube end with your thumb, put the racking cane (hard plastic end) into your beer (not all the way down), remove thumb from other end (at a vertical height below your beer), watch science make magic.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethwick View Post
Fill it completely with water \ saniter, plug the tube end with your thumb, put the racking cane (hard plastic end) into your beer (not all the way down), remove thumb from other end (at a vertical height below your beer), watch science make magic.
You probably want to have a waste container to let the sanitizer flow into first until the beer starts coming through. You could also buy an autosiphon, which makes the process even simpler. It's a racking cane inside a bigger plastic tube, and when you "pump" the thing, it pushes fluid up the racking cane and once the fluid level in the tubing gets below the level of the beer, the siphon has been started and will continue as long as the outflow side's liquid stays below the level of the fluid in the starting container.

Also you'll see the chunks and cloudiness in the tubing if you're picking up trub with the intake side.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hold the tube up slightly off the bottom. Then get SWMBO to come help. Have her get on her knees and suck on your tube slowly. It always works to get my liquid flowing. And I get to watch and be sure she doesn’t get a mouthful of something she might not like.

Oh and to keep things clean, give her a couple of shots of vodka first before you even ask for help. It helps, trust me.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

It helps if you can use a carboy cap or a clothespin or something else clever to hold the racking cane. I start the siphon with the cane well off the bottom. Once it is flowing, I slowly lower it until I can see it pick up yeast/trub and then back it off a tiny bit slow it flows clear.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
BigJerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I stick the end of my thief into the end of my siphon tube and suck on that to get the flow started, that way I'm not dirtying up my transfer hose. once it's all the way to the end of the tube it'll go on its own (as long as the bucket/carboy/keg is below the bottom of the fermenter)

Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Gropo
Recipes 

Clarification......Did you get an "auto siphon", or just a sipon tube?? Since you refer to it as a "contraption" I'm guessing that you got an auto-siphon. Sanitize first, then put the smaller tube with the gasket into the bigger tube; put the big tube with the black tappered tip into your wort, lower the clear siphon tubing into your next vessel, pump the small end into the bigger tube and siphon will begin. Keep the black tip slightly above the sediment. Easy as pie. You can practice by moving water from your sink to a bucket; or better yet, "youtube" search it.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

And, mentioned already, but the CRITICAL step is that the outflow tubing must be LOWER than the fluid level, and ideally, below the original container.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
tunoffun
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerk View Post
I stick the end of my thief into the end of my siphon tube and suck on that to get the flow started, that way I'm not dirtying up my transfer hose. once it's all the way to the end of the tube it'll go on its own (as long as the bucket/carboy/keg is below the bottom of the fermenter)
I do the same with a sanitized turkey baster... bulb removed.
I have an autosyphon, but I don't like the way it necessarily introduces some oxygen. Sucking on the baster initiates a strong, smooth flow (joke all you want, pervs).

Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Gropo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post
Hold the tube up slightly off the bottom. Then get SWMBO to come help. Have her get on her knees and suck on your tube slowly. It always works to get my liquid flowing. And I get to watch and be sure she doesn’t get a mouthful of something she might not like.

Oh and to keep things clean, give her a couple of shots of vodka first before you even ask for help. It helps, trust me.
If your helper doesn't like the mouthful of fluid, I would suggest getting a different helper. Most won't mind the mouthful, but try not to get any in her hair.

Quick Reply