Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How should I proceed with fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
BrewSmith19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How should I proceed with fermentation?

I started my first brew a week ago (cooper's lager) and don't know what to do now. My brew has been in a plastic pail this whole time with the lid on but not sealed to allow gas escape. Instructions from my homebrew supplier say trasfer to secondary in the glass carboy after 3-4 days but there was still a thick krausen even after 5. As a beginner, should i just leave it in the pail for another week and then bottle? If so, what should I do about the lid since there is no place for an airlock?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
BrewingGunner
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Leave it for another week. I like to primary for at least two weeks and secondary for a week. A steady gravity reading will let you know that its finished fermenting and ready to secondary.

I highly recommend drilling a hole in the lid for an airlock prior to your next batch. While airlock activity isn't a completely reliable fermentation indicator, it's a decent hint, and will definitely keep out the nasties.

Primary: Mosaic IPA
Secondary: Calypso Pale Ale
Keg 1: MT :(
Keg 2: Thunderdome Red

My Brewstand Build

Old 03-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewinggunner View Post
leave it for another week. I like to primary for at least two weeks and secondary for a week. A steady gravity reading will let you know that its finished fermenting and ready to secondary.

I highly recommend drilling a hole in the lid for an airlock prior to your next batch. While airlock activity isn't a completely reliable fermentation indicator, it's a decent hint, and will definitely keep out the nasties.
+1

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
BrewSmith19
Recipes 

So you think I should still transfer to the carboy in a week or just bottle and let sit for secondary?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Leave it for 3 weeks then transfer for the lagering period. Can you lager? What temp are you fermenting at?

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
BrewSmith19
Recipes 

Well even though the package said lager, I'm pretty sure it's an ale. It's currently brewing at about 18 degrees. The instructions are bogus I think because they call for less than a week of fermentation before bottling and temperatures of up to 27 degrees. The yeast is ale yeast too.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Cooper's kits ferment out in about 1 week (at recommended temperatures) but if you want a better beer (not really a lager) let it stay in the bucket for 3+ weeks and then bottle. The worst thing you can do is open the lid to check things out. If you keep the lid on semi-tight where CO2 can escape the layer of CO2 formed will protect your beer from oxidation. Keep opening it wil only allow the blanket of CO2 to be wafted out and allow air to get at the beer.

bosco

Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2009 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

Ime,Cooper's kits or recipes I use the Cooper's cans in take between 2-3 weeks to finish fermenting & settle out clear. And yes,the Cooper's OS Lager he has is really a light colored pale ale. It def needs flavor hops added to make a bit better,like Czech saaz. 18C (64.4F) is bare minimum fermenting temp for Cooper's ale yeast. So it should come out cleaner tasting,but it'll also take longer to finish fermenting at that low temp.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
BrewSmith19
Recipes 

How would I go about adding the hops and has anyone tried this beer, how is it on its own?

Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2009 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

It's not bad on it's own,light & a bit malty. But you can def tell it's lacking flavor hop additions. Cooper's OS (denotes Original Series) cans have bittering only with Pride of Ringwood hops. I think,from talking with them on the Cooper's forums,that they make them that way on purpose to make experimenting the completing factor for those beers. Since you should NEVER boil pre-hopped extracts,I started adding half a 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME,or plain extra light to the partial boil for flavor hop additions @ 20 & 10 minutes,1oz each. Then stir in the remaining DME & all the Cooper's can quickly at flame out. Cover & steep the still very hot wort for a few minutes. Since it's still 180F+,& pasteurization happens @ 162F,steep covered a few minutes & Bob's your uncle.

Quick Reply