*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How safe is hose water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
seriousbeef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How safe is hose water?

Brewing outdoors has been a real pleasure lately. But I'm breaking my back getting water from the kitchen to the kettle. I really don't fancy running a nice new PVC hose through my house from the kitchen tap outside to it.

How safe is hose water? It would be pretty practical for me to run a garden hose off the end of an external mains tap, straight to the kettle. Any leaks, its ok, its outside. My concern is not with the water itself, but the insides of the garden hose! Has anyone had any experience brewing with water from a garden hose?

Cheers. This beer is to Wives and Sweethearts - may the two never meet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Just buy a marine grade hose that's what I have, they are safe for drinking water!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 243

They sell them at home depot and lowes they are usually white!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I've done this with an elcheapo hose and it's fine. I'd run it for a few seconds so none of the water that was sitting in the hose is going into your pot though. It's touching that hose material for such short amount of time and it shouldn't be a problem. I let my water sit out anywhere from 12-24 hours though, so the chlorine in my water evaporate out of solution.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebucheron
I've done this with an elcheapo hose and it's fine. I'd run it for a few seconds so none of the water that was sitting in the hose is going into your pot though. It's touching that hose material for such short amount of time and it shouldn't be a problem. I let my water sit out anywhere from 12-24 hours though, so the chlorine in my water evaporate out of solution.
+1. I drink out of my hose all the time. I think the only two issues are bacteria (which I obviously ignore, but hey...I've done it all my life with no ill effects - pun intended) from warm water that sits in the hose (you're boiling, so no worries) and a rubbery or plasticky taste. As long as you run it a few seconds to clear any water that has spent considerable time in your hose, I doubt you would taste any flavors from it.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
fishersfirst
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have to disagree. Spend a few dollars on a decent drinking water grade hose. It's a cheap insurance policy.
In a darker beer you may not taste any difference, but in a pale, more subtle beer, there's nothing to hide behind and it would be a shame to get those plastic flavours in your beer.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
glugglug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

A fellow brewer in home brew club uses an in line portable water filter he got at Wal Mart. I would make your own hose with some tubing from home brew shop and get some kind of filter. Just my opinion.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
Brewbien
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by glugglug View Post
A fellow brewer in home brew club uses an in line portable water filter he got at Wal Mart. I would make your own hose with some tubing from home brew shop and get some kind of filter. Just my opinion.
I use one of these and it suits me well.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 476 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 210

My water comes through an everyday garden hose, gets heated for the mash and then gets boiled for the wort and I even use it to clean everything with Oxy. I also use it to mix with star San and bottling.

I can happily report I have never had an infection or generated any off flavors from my palest colored Belgian White to my completely opaque holiday ale.

Not saying this is the way that's best but IME I've never had any issues and the beers are fantastic!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
fluidmechanics
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

What about just filling from the spigot. I disconnect the hose and just fill my pot. I know you still have to carry the pot but at least you don't have to worry about water sloshing out inside your house. Or the water in a cheep hose. Or to lighten your load carry two smaller clean buckets from the spigot to your kettle.

Quick Reply