Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How relevant is airlock bubbling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
mjrinkenbaugh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How relevant is airlock bubbling?

Hello everyone...

I'm fairly new to brewing my own beer and I've got a batch of beer that I started almost four weeks ago now. It's taken some time to ferment and I'm going to check the gravity again tonight to see if I'm ready to bottle. It started at 1.070 and last read (on Sunday) at 1.018. If it's still 1.018 tonight, then I will go ahead and bottle, but here's my question:

I'm still seeing a single bubble in the airlock every 5 minutes. Is that even worth considering as far as if it's ready to bottle or not? I know it could just be a slight fluctuation in temperature pushing air out. Does anybody else even watch their airlock for long enough to see how often they really get a bubble? Is a single bubble that occasional even worth considering with regard to whether or not I might be ready to bottle?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Airlocks don't mean much. A hydrometer will tell you all the info you need. I pretty much ignore mine aside from checking to make sure it hasn't dried out.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Completely, take your readings if it is the same for 3 days in a row you are set. or do what I do and leave it alone for a few weeks and I don't have to worry about it being done.

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
mjrinkenbaugh
Recipes 

snccoulter,

If you leave the beer set for weeks on end... doesn't there come a time when the beer NEEDS to be bottled and will develop off flavors if not bottled?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrinkenbaugh View Post
snccoulter,

If you leave the beer set for weeks on end... doesn't there come a time when the beer NEEDS to be bottled and will develop off flavors if not bottled?
Maybe depending on style from few months to a year or more might cause a problem. I have heard of forgotten brews in primary for more than 4 months turning out fine.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Correct, a couple of weeks is not an issue. I have had a few on the yeast cake for over a month. I am not in a hurry to drink them so I can afford let them sit.

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How relevant is airlock bubbling?

Don't know, haven't used one in years. Now, if I were to and bulk age a big beer or wine for an extended period that's a different story. My guess is your beer is simply offgassing some co2 that is in solution from fermentation....if your beer is four weeks old and not done fermenting, it is either a huge beer or something is wrong....RDWHAHB

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Occasionally I'll get a fermenter that will toss out a bubble here and there 3 weeks down the road. Not a big deal.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
mjrinkenbaugh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
How relevant is airlock bubbling?

Don't know, haven't used one in years. Now, if I were to and bulk age a big beer or wine for an extended period that's a different story. My guess is your beer is simply offgassing some co2 that is in solution from fermentation....if your beer is four weeks old it is either a huge beer or something is wrong....RDWHAHB
I've taken a sample using a thief. There's nothing wrong that I can tell... at least it doesn't taste infected. You might be right about the CO2 just coming out of the solution though...

Quick Reply