Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How quick can I bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
chaserchap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default How quick can I bottle?

I know the #2 rule of homebrewing is patience (#1 is clearly cleanliness, or more specifically sanitation) however I just brewed Brewer's Best American Cream Ale on Friday and I was hoping to bottle this next weekend, probably Saturday. Is 8 days enough, assuming my gravity looks good/is stable? Or maybe wait til Sunday?

Last edited by chaserchap; 02-13-2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: fixed link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

As long as your gravity has held for a solid 3 days WITHOUT moving you can bottle. Its not a high gravity beer so you just may get away with 8 days.

On Deck ______________ Tasty's Brown (Brown with NB)
1st Primary ____________ Sour Pliny
Kegged________________ Sangio.Port Wine
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 02-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
trizzant
Recipes 

I think most (including me) will tell you to wait 3-4 weeks before bottling. My first batch I waited 2 weeks. Now after 2 weeks kegged I took it back off tonight to let it condition more. It's just too green. As far as 8 or 9 days I doubt it would make a difference.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

My best IPA i have ever made was in primary for 8 days and bottle aged for 2 weeks.
ALL the books i have read about brewing say 14-21 days in primary is normally good for a light beer. As long as the gravity has held for 3 days.

The beer may not be as clear, as the yeast hasn't had time to clean it up. But still drinkable if you dont care about clarity.

On Deck ______________ Tasty's Brown (Brown with NB)
1st Primary ____________ Sour Pliny
Kegged________________ Sangio.Port Wine
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Do you want good beer or fast beer? I've made that kit and bottled it in a week, just like the instructions say. It took about a month and a half to 2 months for bottle conditioning for the beer to get pretty good.

I made another cream ale and left it in the fermenter for 3 weeks and bottled. It was pretty good in 1 week from bottling and very good in 2 weeks. By leaving it in the fermenter longer, I got good beer about a month sooner than by bottling in a week.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
brewmadness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I bottled that same beer yesterday. 3 weeks in the fermentor. Did a lot of reading on this forum and other places before I ever started. Didn't want to risk having crap for beer so I went with the majority and left it longer than the instructions. Can't wait to try my first brew in a week or two!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
chaserchap
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Does two or three weeks make much of a difference if your gravity is holding constant?

I'm pretty much resigned to two weeks now, though I may move it into a secondary so I can start another batch.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

It seems to. Yeast chew into the sugars and produce CO2 and alcohol, except with your wort there are a lot more than just sugar and the yeast tears into that too and produces all kinds of kinky chemicals, some of which taste good and some that you would rather not have. Given time, the yeast will clean up some of the other chemicals and make a better tasting beer. While you have it in the fermenter, there is a huge population of yeast to do that but when you bottle, you leave that population behind so the little (relatively) yeast that is left has to work pretty long and hard to take care of the chemicals that give you off flavors.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserchap View Post
Does two or three weeks make much of a difference if your gravity is holding constant?

I'm pretty much resigned to two weeks now, though I may move it into a secondary so I can start another batch.
I don't think so.
The yeast "cleaning up after fermentation" is a matter of days, not weeks.

Quick Reply