Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to pronounce...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #81
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
Anyone want to take a stab at this one? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. Damn crazy Welsh!
Yeah, I used to live in Wales (just across the English border). When I first arrived, it took me a week to learn how to pronounce those first two L's at the beginning of every word. Every road sign for towns looked the same. I lived near Llangollen, Llangadwaladr, Llangedwyn, Llansilin, Llechrydau, Rhydycroesau, and Moelfre... none of which are pronounced like they look.

Memories... sometimes I miss my daily drive-to-work routine of chasing sheep that broke loose down a single lane road with 6 foot hedgerows on both sides, all while dodging oncoming traffic (single lane, remember!).

END TRANSMISSION

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #82
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Yeah, I used to live in Wales (just across the English border). When I first arrived, it took me a week to learn how to pronounce those first two L's at the beginning of every word. Every road sign for towns looked the same. I lived near Llangollen, Llangadwaladr, Llangedwyn, Llansilin, Llechrydau, Rhydycroesau, and Moelfre... none of which are pronounced like they look.

Memories... sometimes I miss my daily drive-to-work routine of chasing sheep that broke loose down a single lane road with 6 foot hedgerows on both sides, all while dodging oncoming traffic (single lane, remember!).
Oooh, Llangollen. They have a kewl Doctor Who museum there, They have the fur-suited, crab-clawed, brain-in-a-goldfish-bowl monster there that scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Seeing it in real life at 31 scared the crap out of me all over again, I **** you not!

Back on topic, I heard that they were going to officially change Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch to LLanfair. That would be a bad idea. The only reason we went was to get piccies taken with the sign! There's little enough to do in Wales as it is.

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #83
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
Anyone want to take a stab at this one? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. Damn crazy Welsh!

Gnome is from the UK, he should know this.
Yep! I know that one! it's easy!!

To get the"Ll" at the beginning you simply huck up a greeny from the back of the throat, then for the rest of the word you simply disconnect your brain from your mouth and make a noise like you are trying to tell Groovepuppy about how civilised the scots are. You do this for exactly 3 minutes, and you are done!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #84
curt656
Recipes 

North Wales is one of the most beautiful places on earth IMHO. I traced my paternal ancestry to Dolgellau and went for a visit a couple of years ago. I absolutely fell in love with the place.

Last edited by curt656; 10-30-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #85
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt656 View Post
North Wales is one of the most beautiful places on earth IMHO. I traced my paternal ancestry to Dolegellau and went for a visit a couple of years ago. I absolutely fell in love with the place.
Yes, it's a beautiful place. But the people can be a bit, well, Welsh. In the countryside, they like to talk English until a foreigner is in their midst, then all of a sudden they start speaking welsh. It's a secret code for them.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #86
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome View Post
Yep! I know that one! it's easy!!

To get the"Ll" at the beginning you simply huck up a greeny from the back of the throat, then for the rest of the word you simply disconnect your brain from your mouth and make a noise like you are trying to tell Groovepuppy about how civilised the scots are. You do this for exactly 3 minutes, and you are done!
Yah cheeky beggar. I have sophistication coming out my arse!

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #87
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
Yah cheeky beggar. I have sophistication coming out my arse!
Butthole!! The word is butthole! You have sophistication coming out of your butthole!! ....Darn Jocks....No wonder they never could grasp the concept of proper trousers.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #88
deggenbe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Skimmed through, didn't see this one in this post.

Apfelwein

App-fell-wine ??

Clearing - Misc IIPA 7C's/Simcoe
Primary - Skeeter Piss
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Member
https://sites.google.com/site/sonsof...yhomebrewclub/

Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #89
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

What gets me is that English was Anglish from the Angles who got jiggy with the Saxons. Then we came over here & said "f this,were gunna simplify this". So we now have UK English,American English,Aussie English. I always find that it's pronounced "heffavitzn",long I,accents on the ts (like the TZ sound in Slovak) & the "n",with no "e" sound. Funny that my dad's side is from wortemburg,upper Bavaria,which is South Central to us,lolz. And I have to learn the pronunskiashkun...

Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #90
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I think William...like Bill....But it's a girl...Ette.
William-Ette

Again...Not saying it's correct...but you'll know what I'm talking about.
Except that you're missing another "i" after the "l"'s.

Quick Reply