Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How precise does the priming sugar measurement need to be?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
duck911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default How precise does the priming sugar measurement need to be?

Hi all!

Most recipes seem to call for 5 oz. priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer.

My buddy and I brewed our first batch a few weeks ago and due to a cooling miscalculation, the batch ended up slightly under 5 1/2 gallons. After everything was said and done, I figure the bottling bucket had 5 1/3 gallons of beer, which we added 5 oz. of priming sugar to. So, the beer has less priming sugar than the recipe said it should.

Then, we bottled with a new bottling wand which was one of the "thicker" wands, creating slightly more headspace than a usual beer.

Will the two of these mistakes lead to under-carbed beer?

By the way, we refrigerated and cracked a six day old bottle tonight. The beer was carbed enough to drink, though just barely, and it had zero head. The bottles have been stored in a house at the mid to upper 60's.

(.......and they tasted GREAT!)

So this isn't a "my beer is flat" thread - I'm reading the bottling sticky and know enough not to ask that at least for another week or two

But we are curious about our two mistakes and if long term this will impact the batch.

thanks all,

--Duck911

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Headspace shouldnt be an issue if the level is somwhere in the neck of the bottle

One gram per litre does not make a huge difference in carbonation(might be noticable)
And your not even close to that inaccurate

Nothing too interesting yet
deamonale
A work in progress just like my beer

Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 251

being off by 1/3 of a gallon on a 5 gallon batch isn't going to have much of an effect. this is really is a case of RDWHAHB.

same thing with a little extra headspace. obviously depends on how much "extra" we're taking about here but unless you're leaving 4 times the headspace there, you'll be fine.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Quick Reply