HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How precise do fermentation temps have to be to prevent off flavors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
stevehardt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default How precise do fermentation temps have to be to prevent off flavors

Searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic.

How precise, or narrow a range, do you have to keep your temps during fermentation to prevent off flavors?

I use a fishing cooler with ice packs, and always keep it all the ranges of the yeast, but do have a 5-6 degree swing during the course of the fermentation.

Will this cause problems?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You have a fair amount of leeway on the low side, but not much on the high side. I always aim for the low end of the range for the yeast.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Most of the time you'll be fine as long as you're doing something to keep the temperature rise in check. You also don't want it falling rapidly, very far, or the yeast can poop out and stall fermentation. I generally raise my temp a few degrees after the most active fermentation is done, when the gravity is nearly "final" or what I expect it to be. Just monitor it as much as you can, and otherwise RDWHAHB

Oh, and the longer you can let it clean up after itself often gets rid of any slight imperfections you may have picked up, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Kind of depends on your own taste and what you like. I don't brew lagers, but for ales, a little warm is ok if you don't mind a little fruitiness. But like frazier said, you have more wiggle room on the low end than the high end. I've gone too high before and ended up with a pretty fruity ale that I wasn't happy with. In instances like that I usually dry hop it. The extra hop flavor seems to mask the fruitiness.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Quick Reply