New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to pitch different yeasts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
knickspree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to pitch different yeasts?

I'm working with a cooper's DIY kit, and I want to get better yeast because I'm not a big fan of the "yeasty" after taste I get with the current Coopers brew kits. I want to use safale s-04 and US-05, I've heard good reviews of both of these.

However, when I go to their site, the directions are a lot more complicated than the ones with the Coopers kit. All I do with the Coopers kit at the very end is sprinkle the yeast evenly across on top, and it ferments and works fine. Can I do the same pitching with these yeasts? Or do I need to rub into some kind of cream like the instructions on their site say?

http://www.brewshop.co.nz/pdf/safale_US-05_yeast.pdf

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_S-04_HB.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can just pitch it onto the beer. What I do is boil off some water, let it cool to room temp, and when it does I put the yeast in thet (a cup or less) in order to let it rehydrate.

I love S04 and US05 and use them very often. They will work either way, but re-hydrated they will be more prepared to get started when you pitch them in.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
knickspree
Recipes 

Alright, cool, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

I've found that dry yeasts always start faster when re-hydrated in 1.5-2C of boiled/cooled water. The Cooper's ale yeast def works better re-hydrated. I started using the fresher Cooper's 15g ale yeast available at NB & Midwest. They can handle starting at cooler temps with the 15g packet vs the little 7g packets in the false lid of the Cooper's cans.
But even those little 7g packets are better re-hydrated. And those yeasty flavors will go away if you leave the beer in primary till it reaches a stable FG,then let it settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. Usually 3-7 days past FG. Then giving them 3-5 weeks in the bottles,& at least 1 week fridge time. Patience & time will make them taste better.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Re-hydrate dry yeast at 104F. Use 25mL of water per gram of yeast, make sure it has some mineral content, NO RO Water!! Wait 15-30 minutes at which time there should be some activity. Add about 200 mL of wort to the yeast. Once the re-hydrated yeast is within 15F of the wort temp, pitch it.

You can use GoFerm nutrient if you wish but most of the dry yeast is OK without nurient. Use 1.25 grams per gallon of wort.

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply