Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How old is too old

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
Brewsmack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle

How do I like this one twice?
Second that

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
eyebrau
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In my experience, the bigger the beer, the better it is with age. IPAs are better fresh because tue hops fade. Anything that is supposed to be focused on flavoring and/or aroma hops needs to be drank relatively fresh. Some other styles are also meant to be drank fresh, like bitters. Barleywines, imperial stouts, old ales, quadrupels/abts are all best aged.

I made an RIS with my dad on Father's Day in 2011, I still have just a couple bottles left. It has only gotten better with age. I plan to have one with him this Father's Day at 2 years age, and if any are still left after, I might try to keep one for next year as well.

One thing I found hilarious when looking up mead recipes online some time ago was coming across a recipe for polish mead where the last step said, and I quote, "age for 5 to 100 years."

Bottle conditioning: melomel, English barleywine
On tap(a draft): citra SMaSH pale ale
Secondary:Collaboration RIS, "Odd Bruin" blended Brett concoction
Primary: Scottish 80/-
Up next: ?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

about a year ago a friend shared some barleywine with me. they were made in 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, and 2004. they were smooth as silk, and very tasty

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #14
tabing75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i have some goat scrotum ale that i brewed about 15 years ago(unrefrigerated). i tasted it in October of 2011 and it was surprisingly good. a little oxidation but i was very excited so my buddy convinced me to chill another....bummer, it was vinegar-ish. that one was due to poor sanitary conditions.

on the other hand, many of my lower gravity beers are not as fresh tasting after 9 months.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 943 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Bigger beers and more complex beers seem to almost require aging to be all they can be. Barleywines, RIS's, Dubbels/Trippels/Quads, complex/imperial stouts all benefit from aging. Anything that when bottled tastes green or off usually taste better when given time. Aging is also called conditioning, and you can read up on the benefits of conditioning.

True, the oldest homebrew I have had was ~2 years old, but it was still good. It will not go bad since it is pasturized in the boil and only 'infected' with the yeast you desire when you ferment. When packaged the yeast that remains will carbonate (if you naturally carbonate) and otherwise can clean up some off flavors from fermentation. Then with age the flavors meld and blend like they do in a casserole which is why they are better as leftovers. and some other flavors mellow out over time which allows the rest of the flavors to develop.

All in all, I highly reccomend you maintain a stock of a few of your back beers so that you can taste the progression of your brewing skills and remenisce back to past brews. I am just sad that I only have a couple bottles left from my early batches.

BTW. aging in the fridge will clear the beer quicker, but slow down the hop fade and conditioning.

Quick Reply