Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How To NOT Drink My Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
brewmate76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How To NOT Drink My Beer

Hello all,

My first batch since returning to the hobby was a Copper Ale from MWHB. It was in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks, followed by 3 weeks of priming in bottles.

I had my first bottle last week and it was great! I was actually super surprised when I took my first sip and realized this was much better than the beer I used to make. A week later, I tried another bottle and it was better than the first. A few days later, the third was better than the second.

My problem is that I'm afraid I'm going to drink all the beer (can't resist) before it reaches its optimum goodness.

How do people resist the urge to drink their homebrew before it's aged to perfection? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I seem to lack willpower.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4778 Times on 3473 Posts
Likes Given: 953

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmate76 View Post
Hello all,

My first batch since returning to the hobby was a Copper Ale from MWHB. It was in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks, followed by 3 weeks of priming in bottles.

I had my first bottle last week and it was great! I was actually super surprised when I took my first sip and realized this was much better than the beer I used to make. A week later, I tried another bottle and it was better than the first. A few days later, the third was better than the second.

My problem is that I'm afraid I'm going to drink all the beer (can't resist) before it reaches its optimum goodness.

How do people resist the urge to drink their homebrew before it's aged to perfection? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I seem to lack willpower.
Brew more. So you have beer stockpiled. Oh, you'll still drink it too early, but it'll take you much longer!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it's called building a pipeline......can't keep your mind/hands of your young beer? brew another batch. repeat every week or so until that first batch is fermented, conditioned, aged and primed....then repeat some more....that's why you see people with whole liquor stores worth of brews listed in their sig-lines.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2797 Times on 2744 Posts
Likes Given: 122

yep, you gotta knock out a bunch of quick beers to build pipeline, then you can do some that require aging without worrying about drinking them. I have a problem making a keg last over 2 weeks. Be thankful you're bottling. It goes faster when there is no empties to count

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Be thankful you're bottling. It goes faster when there is no empties to count
Amen brother! I'm the only one drinking my brew, SWMBO has maybe a pint a week. Space for 3 kegs tapped and I end up with an empty at least every two weeks if not sooner.

I switched to doing 10G batches or two 5G in one day. Then I have two kegs ready after the requisite aging period.

Consesus for OP, BREW MORE! Now, next weekend and the one after that.

As for staying away from your current conditioning batch, go to the store and buy some calibration samples. At least for different varieties of what you have on hand should do the trick. Drink those until they are all gone, then you may begin sampling your stash. Also, hold back a sixer or more if you can. You will enjoy sampling them much later and tasting a little history of your brewing development.

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
beerjunky828
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeufelBrew View Post
Also, hold back a sixer or more if you can. You will enjoy sampling them much later and tasting a little history of your brewing development.

Yeah always put a 6-pack away, with the date created and bottled and what kind of beer it is. THEN FORGET ABOUT IT! Yeah and try to make beer more often.

But damn if it is not hard to want to have a session with some sweet homebrew that no one else in the world is drinking (except maybe some close pals and gals)

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I've been brewing for years and I have the same issue. The normal rule is, the best bottle from any batch is always the last one. If I figure this one out, I will advise!

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

Fill the pipeline. I counted this weekend. I have 57 full cases of godly nector waiting to be de-flowered. I didnt count, but I'd say 20 more in varying stages of being consumed (cases) I have 7 beers on tap, and 7 more ready to be tapped, already chilled, and 4 more conditioning. If I bottle, it stays in the bottle for a month before I even test it. If I keg it, it sits in the keg at room temp for a month before it even becomes eligable to go into cold storage, and only then when there is space available.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lifes too short to worry about such trivial things. Drink the beer now and make more. Each brew will be better than the last. Word.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

E-rok Likes This 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
78kombi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

since i have moved into a new house, i have been doing a 5g batch every 2 weeks to get my stock back up..( after not brewing for 2 months) its still hard to keep it.. but drinking it is the reason i brew it.

Quick Reply