*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default How much yeast?

I am making a 2 gal batch and my LHBS gave me one packet of yeast that's good for 5 gal. He said to pitch the whole thing. It is Danstar Windstor yeast. Would it hurt to pitch the whole packet?

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You're fine. It won't hurt the batch. Depending on the gravity of the wort you could probably get away with pitching only half, though, especially if you had another similar sized batch to pitch the remaining yeast into. (Probably the incurably tight Scots' upbringing in me coming out)

What kind of yeast and style of beer is it? Some styles can benefit from a slight underpitch which stresses the yeast into producing esters that are desirable in that style.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
You're fine. It won't hurt the batch. Depending on the gravity of the wort you could probably get away with pitching only half, though, especially if you had another similar sized batch to pitch the remaining yeast into. (Probably the incurably tight Scots' upbringing in me coming out)

What kind of yeast and style of beer is it? Some styles can benefit from a slight underpitch which stresses the yeast into producing esters that are desirable in that style.
It's the caribou slobber from northern brewer. I think I messed up on the recipe though. The OG is 1.076, the recipe for 5 gal calls for 1.052. I ended up pitching the whole packet because of the high gravity.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Norie_
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Pitch it all! Pitch it all! Then leave it be for 3 weeks and bottle. Seriously. If you can't wait use the anxiety energy to brewing another beer.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
dcocch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Use a blow-off tube...

Drinking:True Brew Pale Ale

Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch View Post
Use a blow-off tube...
Not sure how since I am using an old Mr. Beer LBK.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use a couple of Mr.Beer LBKs aswell as some 6 gallon plastic buckets. In fact, both of the AG batches I've done recently have been in the MrB. LBKs. A couple of batches ago, an extract brew, I had the LBK filled really high (like maybe 2.8 or 2.9 gallons, assuming the actual volume of the LBK is about 3.15), had some amazingly active krausen action going and at peak it was exiting from the lid and dribbling down the sides. Not a huge volume exiting but pretty consistent for a day or two. Wasn't a problem and just having the LBK sitting in the swamp cooler was all the precaution necessary.

Quick Reply