Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much water to fill and hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
shoemaker27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much water to fill and hops

Hi
I'm making my first batch of beer today. I have two questions....Do I need to put hops that are in pellet form in a sock when I boil them and how much water do I put in my Better Bottle carboy fermentor after I put the wort in there? (What is 5 gallons on this thing, up to the last line, bottom or top of it)? Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoemaker27 View Post
Hi
I'm making my first batch of beer today. I have two questions....Do I need to put hops that are in pellet form in a sock when I boil them and how much water do I put in my Better Bottle carboy fermentor after I put the wort in there? (What is 5 gallons on this thing, up to the last line, bottom or top of it)? Thanks for the help.
Hi! Welcome to the forum.

I don't use hops sock, but many others do. Just make sure that if you do, the hops aren't packed tightly, so that the wort can easily fully contact the hops. You want them "loose" in there. I just throw them in, and they kind of disintegrate.

Do you have a 6 gallon Better bottle? If it's a 5 gallon BB, it's not big enough because you need some headspace in there, to allow for the krausen (foam) at the top. I use an "ale pail" bucket for fermentation. If you have a 6 gallon BB, you might be fine. The best way to know where 5 gallon comes up is to fill it, one gallon at a time, with water and mark it accordingly.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
shoemaker27
Recipes 

Thanks for the response, yes I forgot to mention it is a 6 gallon BB

Old 06-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Touristbob
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I measured out 4, 5, 5 1/2, and 6 gallons with know measuring devices (a marked pitcher to get to those volumes) and marked each on the outside of my carboys.

Quick Reply