How much water for 25grams of Cascade Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpandnz

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have 50 grams of Cascade Hops and will boil it to add to my IPA in primary to get some nice hoppy flavour. I will only use 25grams I think. But how much water do I use?

I love hoppy beer. Epic Armageddon IPA is the ****!! Worth trying! Its a fantastic hoppy NZ beer. Hopefully I can make something like that one day.

Could I boil for like 15 mins and then pour it all in to the fermenter or will it make no difference?

You could, but hops are a natural preservative and no benefit will come from boiling. Toss them in unboiled.

Edit:: I'm referring to adding as a "dry hop" addition for aroma only.

Dry hop your beer. That means add the hops directly to the fermenting wort without boiling. 25 grams is reasonable, but 50 isn't uncommon for a 5 gallon (19L) batch.

Sweet. Well I got the Coopers IPA kit. Do you think 50g will be too much?

Also, do I dry hop at the beginning or let it ferment for a bit first?

I usually just throw my hops into primary right after fermentation finishes in about a week or so. I keg my beer so a lot of times I will actually put hops in those tea strainer ball things and just toss em into the keg and let them sit in there until I finish the beer.

Sweet! Thanks for all the info. I'll do 50 grams of pallets. So excited to try my first hoppy home brew!

Sweet! Thanks for all the info. I'll do 50 grams of pallets. So excited to try my first hoppy home brew!

No prob! Honestly, given that you're probably a fellow hop fiend...I say go real big and ask questions later. Worst case is you're the only one that'll drink it or your friends have to put clothespins on their noses to drink it. Worst case seems either wonderful or hilarious if not both. :D

Mike from Brewers Coop told me an Epic Pale Ale clone uses 150g of cascade in total, might have been more actually. Go and see him in Penrose and he will help you out with your recipes ;)

Thats where I went today :D
Got my Coopers IPA there and the hops. I will have to try the 150gs!!

I think I will wait a week before throwing in the hops. I heard that if you stick it in too early it all escapes out the air lock. Is this true? Or should I just biff it in from the beginning.

I heard that if you stick it in too early it all escapes out the air lock. Is this true? Or should I just biff it in from the beginning.

Personally, I'll wait a couple weeks to dry hop because of all the things I've read about the escaping CO2 scrubbing the hop aroma away. Plus I'm lazy. My dry hops end up in for 2 weeks all the time with no off flavors that I detect.

However, I recently heard Tasty on Brewing Network say he puts his in a lot earlier (just as fermentation is dying down a little). I thought he said it had something to do with reducing the chances of infection and he advised hopping more heavily if you were worried about CO2 scrubbing. Don't quote me on that though. I heard it a month ago and I'm drunk as of 26 minutes ago. :p

I love getting drunk off home brew. Never had a hangover from it since it has a lot of Vitamin B in it. Gotta love it. Ok, well I will wait until about 4 - 5 days and then throw my hops in.

I love getting drunk off home brew. Never had a hangover from it since it has a lot of Vitamin B in it. Gotta love it.

I think you might be doing it wrong. I can ease the hangover quite a bit if I drink a glass of water with each beer but I'm pounding 7-11% homebrews here. My schedule has to be cleared for the next day. :drunk:

Hahaha!! Yeah I will try to brew a high level alcohol beer at some stage. Just throw in some extra malt.

So I threw in the Hops after 4 days, it started bubbling again in the airlock. It has died down good. Now, there is a green layer of hop particles floating at the top. I have swirled the fermenter as recommended for the last 3 days and they disappear but then reappear. So I imagine these will sink to the bottom over the next few weeks right?

By the way, I just had an Epic Hop Zombie. OMFG. That is intense. One of the most complex beers I have ever tried. That hop taste is awesome!

I have tried a little bit out of the fermenter and man its got some nice citrus aroma going on. There is a bit of the hop particles floating around. When I bottle this will it all settle at the bottom ok?

Back