The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much washed yeast for a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
twelvelookslikex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

soo use the entire thing in my 1L starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 AM   #12
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
That means that you are repitching part of a yeast cake from a previous batch (typically without washing it). The 100 mL refers to 100 mL of pure yeast from the bottom of the fermenter.

People refer to pitching 1 L as a stepped up starter building yeast numbers from a small sample. It refers to the original 1 L of 1.03-1.040 wort in the starter, not the size of the yeast slurry.
That is what I figured it was. I have a growler 1/4 full with slurry from a local brewery. Some say to pitch the whole thing, the brewery said do a cup's worth. That's quite a difference. A cup's worth seems to be close to a wyeast packet, which has been working fine for me so far.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpybumpy View Post
That is what I figured it was. I have a growler 1/4 full with slurry from a local brewery. Some say to pitch the whole thing, the brewery said do a cup's worth. That's quite a difference. A cup's worth seems to be close to a wyeast packet, which has been working fine for me so far.
Ah makes sense! In your case you would want to use the rough tools that calculate the amount of cells in a volume of slurry.

Or I would just pitch a cups worth

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #14
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvelookslikex View Post
soo use the entire thing in my 1L starter?
I would personally only use half of it in the starter and save the rest. No reason to use your whole stock when you are building up the cell counts anyway!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #15
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Based on some hemocytometer counts I have recently made, I would guess harvested S-05 is around 1.5 billions cells/ml. Low flocculating yeast is around 1 billion/ml on average and high flocculating yeast compacts to just below 3 billion/ml on average. S-05 isn't the best flocculator, but I haven't measured this exact strain.

Also, the conditions in which it was resuspended (how much liquid was remaining) obviously play a big part. My numbers are based on trying to decant as much beer as possible, then having the yeast settle out for more than 1 wk at 4 degrees C.

I would use the 1.5 billion/ml and apply it to the standard thought of pitching 1,000,000 cells/ ml wort / degree Plato of whatever beer you plan on using. You may or may not need a starter.

Quick Reply