Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much trub is acceptable to transfer into Primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
DM3MD157
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default How much trub is acceptable to transfer into Primary?

I am on my 5th batch of beer now and I have a noob question that I can't seem to find the answer to here. When I am transferring the wort into the primary from my kettle, how much trub is acceptable to transfer? I know that you don't want to transfer much if any, but I am finding that I am not hitting my OG on my last couple batches (now that I am checking). I have seen many posts saying that with extract kits it is not likely to not be hitting the OG, however I am THOROUGHLY mixing the wort and taking measurements with a hydrometer and refractometer. My hypothesis is that I am not transferring enough wort into the primary before adding the additional water needed to hit 5 gallons. That said I am very careful to transfer as little trub as possible (I use whirlfloc tablets). Perhaps I am not waiting long enough for the trub to settle? (I usually wait anywhere between 30-45 mins after cooling with my wort chiller). Any suggestions is much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1333

Anywhere from all of it to none of it. There us debate whether it makes a difference. Basic Brewing Radio did a nice experiment on the issue. (podcast is on basicbrewing.com). Personally, I try to limit it, but I dont worry about it.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
DM3MD157
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer View Post
Anywhere from all of it to none of it. There us debate whether it makes a difference. Basic Brewing Radio did a nice experiment on the issue. (podcast is on basicbrewing.com). Personally, I try to limit it, but I dont worry about it.
My thought is that I am leaving too much wort in the kettle. How long do you wait until you siphon into the primary? TIA.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My general procedure is to chill to fermenting temperature, siphon to the primary, and then aerate.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Unless you are re-pitching your yeast and not leaving your beer on the yeast longer than 3 weeks, I wouldn't worry about the trub too much. I've brewed several beers that I dumped everything into the fermenter that were great beers. I was putting all my beers through a secondary as well to make sure that they were as clear as possible. Now I'm letting them go about 2 weeks (provided they have finished) and transferring into kegs. I let them settle and dump the first pint or two that are full of yeast that were left in suspension. I've read that some believe the trub provides more for the yeast, but I've made pretty darn good ones with filtering every bit of the trub out possible and from those that I've just dumped it all in... YMMV

-=ô¿ô=-

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '14
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '14
Keg #1: Amarillo Pale Ale
Keg #2: California Honey Amber
Keg #3: Amarillo IPA
Keg #4: Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Porter
Bottled: Pom-Cran Sour '13, Dad's Apple Pie Cider
On-Deck: Golden Spike Belgian Rye, Amarillo Series Ales

Old 09-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 1957

I've made perfectly good beer dumping all of the trub into the fermenter, as well as leaving as much trub in the boil kettle as possible. In my experience, the only difference is that minimizing trub in the fermenter makes it easier to get clearer beer.

That said, I always use Irish moss in the last 15 minutes of boil, whirlpool, and carefully siphon off of trub. I like having extra-clear beer....

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
dgr
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You still planning on secondary? Dump it all in the primary except for leaf hops if you use them.

Did you try whirlpooling the wort? Once it is cool, get it spinning really fast, drop the lid on and let it sit for 30 minutes. The trub should make a cone in the middle.

If you are going to not secondary (which is my preference), you can get a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, sanitize it and pour your wort through it on it's way to the fermentation vessel.

Another suggestion would be to jam the end of your racking cane with the cap on it down into the trub at the edge and leave it there. It will suck some trub and create a well for the beer to flow into the racking cane. This works pretty well for me when I can find my whirlfloc tablets.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I've found little difference in taste in my experiments when I sieve out solids from the kettle and when I just dump everything in. However, I'm not a beer judge so perhaps I miss the subtleties. Having said that I also aim to have super clear beer.

Nowadays I dump everything in the primary and everything settles nicely by bottling day. Then, when I batch prime I now filter the beer entering the bucket and the results have so far been fantastic:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/tech...r-wort-424371/

If you really want to minimise the amount of solids getting into the primary yet maximise the amount of liquid, try placing a fine mesh flour sieve (from any baking section of your supermarket) in your funnel to the primary and pouring your wort through that:
http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Mesh-Flou.../dp/B003N3F7CM

Old 09-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Unless I missed something about your process, there is little that can go wrong if you follow the directions implicitly. X-quantity water with X-quantity extract, equals X-value OG. I wonder, have you been adding your top off water to the fermenter after you have not poured all the liquid from the brew kettle into it? If so, there is the problem solved. Am I close on this one?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
DM3MD157
Recipes 

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I have always been under the impression that transferring trub is a no-no when going into the primary. Thus far when I have transferred the wort, I have left a small clear layer of wort left in the kettle because trying to draw it into the primary would suck the top layer of trub. The next batch I may try transferring more trub and then later moving it to a secondary. BTW, I have heard so many different opinions on when to transfer to the secondary. About 4 days normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan View Post
Unless I missed something about your process, there is little that can go wrong if you follow the directions implicitly. X-quantity water with X-quantity extract, equals X-value OG. I wonder, have you been adding your top off water to the fermenter after you have not poured all the liquid from the brew kettle into it? If so, there is the problem solved. Am I close on this one?
I never transferred the whole contents of the kettle into the primary. I do add water to make it 5 gallons. That said when transferring less wort and adding more water would throw off my OG.

Quick Reply