Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much is too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
tackett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default How much is too much?

So......

I've seen so much in the way of 2 drinks/day is too much, 4 drinks etc.

There's so much conflicting information out there.

I feel like I drink a lot. But I've talked to others who seem to drink nightly too.

I have a job, it's not like I let beer run my life. But there is such a thing as "functional alcoholics".

When I'm sick, I'll stop drinking and not get the shakes or anything, nor do I have cravings during the day or anything crazy.

I do drink daily. Most of the time it's nightly when I come home from work. 2-4 beers/ night. I don't feel like its all that much. I still exercise, I still feel good. I honestly haven't been drunk in as long as I can remember. (I'm 6'7" and 285lbs so that's difficult) No one is on my case or anything. I just don't want a bad impact on my health.

The funny part is... I'm a critical care RN, and I still don't have a solid answer to this question.

How fast do the rest of you burn through your 5 gallons? Because I feel like I down mine pretty quick...

Like I said, I just don't want a large impact on my health.

Bottled - The Fugly Blonde
Gone - accidental Belgian IPA
Hanks Hefeweissen
White Horse Belgian White
Honey habanero cream ale
Cream Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
palys2
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my opinion, you only have a problem if you NEED to drink. I brew beer because I enjoy the craft. I also enjoy a few beers almost every night. To offset it, I eat healthy and run 20-30 miles per week. It's only a problem if it adversely affects your daily life or your health... Just my 2 cents!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I drink 4+ beers a night--every night--after work. I love beer. I love it. That's why I brew it. I don't drink because I *need* it or because it helps me cope--I drink because I love beer.

I get up a 3:57am every morning, work ten hour days, and work out after work. I'm 6'2" and weigh 186lbs. I balance out all the beer I drink with exercise and eating fresh, organic, nutrient-dense real food.

It's about getting what you want. I want to drink the beer I love but not be a fat slob, so I make it work. I make myself work out and eat great food. You cant make any excuses.

That being said, every single person is different. Just because I can do what I do and still feel great, doesn't mean Joe Schmoe can do the same thing. You just have to find your own equilibrium.

Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale
half_whit Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
tackett
Recipes 

I agree with that and I'm in the same boat.

I drink beer because, I like beer. If I started drinking naddy light every night, I would worry. I don't NEED beer. If I had to stop drinking beer today, I would be bummed. Same as if I was unable to drink dr. Pepper, or eat pizza, or watch TV. I wouldn't be devistated.

I don't HAVE to do any of that. I like to do it. The things I NEED to do is (in order if importance)

1: be a good Christian
2: be a good dad
3: be a good husband.
4: be a good son.
5: be a good employee.

Anything other than those 5 things, is just gravy.

Hanks Hefeweissen
Honey habanero cream ale
Cream Stout

TyTanium Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
EPS
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I get up a 4:30am every mourning 6 days a week. I work on a farm and horse boarding ranch so i'm doing hard labor outside all day cold hot or rainy. Then i come home a drink anywhere from 4-8 beers a night depending on how sleepy i am. Now on saturday night i will drink much more then i do through out the week. Then get up goto church and relax on sunday having a few more beers. I rarely drink the hard stuff besides for a little white lighting with my brother when he comes down form boone and brings a jar with him. I work hard and i feel like i want to enjoy myself and relax with my favorite beverage when i'm not busting my A$$. If that means i have a problem then so be it.

Without beer, life would be a mistake.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 136

When you get too fat, when your liver fails, or when you can't live without a drink, that's too much. But loving something and enjoying it in moderation is healthy, not an addiction.

Plus, beer actually is good for you- alcohol prevents clots and heart attacks, beer is full of antioxidants, and lowering stress is very important these days.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'll have anywhere from 2-5 a night after work. Granted, these are not pints; these are 10-12 oz glasses. I can't remember the last time I had a hangover, and I swear every winter I'm the only person in the office that doesn't get the "crud" that goes around.

"How much is too much" depends on the person, their lifestyle and what they drink. I think most homebrewers respect beer enough that they don't abuse it.

It's pronounced "thermometer."

Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
tackett
Recipes 

I've always wondered how much alcohol causes liver damage, GI cancer etc.

The only cases I ever see are people that drink astronomical amounts, like 2 liters of vodka a day or bonging a gallon of popov up their ass or something. Or the opposite end of the spectrum who don't drink and don't smoke who exercise and live to be 100.

I rarely have any info on the drinkers like us who get CA or cirosis.

So, I dunno it confuses me.

It's not the living to 100 part that worries me. It's the mouth cancer, tounge removal, radical neck dissection, colonoscopy, radiation therapy etc, that worries me.

I see these patients all the time and some of the **** they go through, I would never do.

Hanks Hefeweissen
Honey habanero cream ale
Cream Stout

Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What's the question...if "X" number of beers is harmful, or if you have a drink problem? You seem to mention both concerns.

Dunno about the health aspect, but as far as a drinking problem goes it's not so much the quantity or frequency as much as what you do when you've been drinking and or if it's causing problems in your life.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
newtobrew36
Recipes 

I agree with what Cyclman said. Aside from the obvious benefits of beer, it can be a great stress reliever. I have around 4 beers a night after work in order to wind down. Not just because of the alcohol, but because of the taste, ritual, and overall enjoyment of the product. I think stress causes more damage to health than a couple beers a night ever could. Don't let silly propaganda convince you that a couple beers makes you an alcoholic. I know guys that drink 12+ beers a night, every night and get into all sorts of trouble. That's alcoholism.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS