Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much time is needed for aeration?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
kriso77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much time is needed for aeration?

I'm sure it depends on the brew, but I'm trying to get a general rule of thumb for how long I should aerate my wort. I have been taking the "shake the carboy" road. I just finished my 2nd batch. I shook the wort in the carboy for about 2 minutes and then another minute or so after the yeast was added. My first batch was a bit esthery, due to warm weather and under aerating. I'm trying to avoid that for future batches.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you shake you have to shake for more than 10 minutes. If you use an aquarium pump with an airation stone you can let that run for 15 minutes to a half hour. If you buy a pure o2 system it can be fully airated in 20 to 30 seconds, you just pump pure o2 into your beer.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #3
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

10 minutes? I have only shaken for 30 seconds to a minute before and after pitching. I use bottled water and haven't had a problem yet. Granted I have only made 4 batches, but no problem yet

Old 10-31-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
kriso77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewno
10 minutes? I have only shaken for 30 seconds to a minute before and after pitching. I use bottled water and haven't had a problem yet. Granted I have only made 4 batches, but no problem yet
Did you find that your beers took on a fruity flavor? In my case my first brew was a Bavarian Wheat beer that tasted like sour bananas. Granted, I think the sour part is just because its young. I'm just hoping the 2nd batch comes out a little more balanced.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Well, besides shaking there are a few other things that help. One is if you are using top off water. I used cool tap water to top off to 5 gallons, and because I have good water, I used the aerator on my sink to spray it in. It worked great! Then, after I started doing full boils (but before I bought the aquariaum pump), I used the splash method. Rack until I can lift the pot (I'm a bit of a weakling) but while racking splash the wort into the fermenter. Then, when I can lift the pot, pour through a strainer and splash like crazy. It worked very well for me, since I weigh 135 pounds and cannot shake a full carboy.

My AG method is very similar now- splash while racking and pouring, then run the aquarium pump while I clean up. But it worked well before the pump, too.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 AM   #6
thooper41
Recipes 

i have oxygen tanks and a regulator and was wondering if this would be a good idea to use? its the type people use to hook up to their nose when they need forced oxygen. if its a good idea to use it how long should i run it?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:06 AM   #7
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

...or just get a siphon sprayer, like this:

I attach mine to the spigot on my kettle, but you could siphon out of a kettle too.

I get plenty of "splashing" with this thing...look at the foam.

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooper41
i have oxygen tanks and a regulator and was wondering if this would be a good idea to use? its the type people use to hook up to their nose when they need forced oxygen. if its a good idea to use it how long should i run it?
You'd really need a diffuser stone to get the bubbles small enough to dissolve into the wort. Some tubing and a diffuser stone would work.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I shake for 3-5 minutes and find it works just fine.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #10
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You might also take a look in the kitchen drawer and haul out your whisk.

I splash/pour the wort from the cooled brew kettle to the fermenter then chastise it firmly with a large balloon whisk. My last batch looked like a cappuccino after just a couple of minutes. It's pretty darn effective.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Quick Reply