Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much time to boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
tbel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default How much time to boil

I received a turkey fryer for Christmas with a 30qt pot. I believe it is 35,000 btu s. I did a test run boiling water in that pot. It took about 30min to bring 6gallons to a boil from probably around 55-60 F . I didn't think that was to bad. Today I picked up a used 40qt pot at a local Restaurant supply store.
It took me just over 50min to get 7.5 gallons to a boil. That seems awfully long. Granted it's added volume of 1.5 gallons I don't think that should take that long. The only other variable is that, because the pot is bigger in diameter it actually sits on the ring that keeps the smaller pot from sliding around. Lifting the pot almost 2" higher. Do you think those two factors would make that much difference? I was thinking of either cuttting the ring or raising the burner. It would be easy for me to raise the burner to get it back with in the range it was intended to work. Do you think that would make that much of a difference?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
JoyousRuction
Recipes 

Yes, it could make a huge difference. The heat is probably focused inside the ring, which is the whole pot in the first case and a smaller part of the pot in the second case. Also, having the ring sealed instead of open is probably restricting airflow.

You might try lifting the put off of the ring with spacers, if that improves the boil time then you might want to start cutting things

Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
tbel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The way the larger pot sits on the burner actually would increase airflow. I'll go take some pics to show what I've got.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
GMesick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I started with a turkey fryer, too, then moved to a larger pot that sat on top of the ring. And yes, it slowed my boil. So I got out my tool box, removed the ring, and bent the supports until they lay flat. Now the pot sits about as far away from the flame as the old smaller pot did, and all is right with the world.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
tbel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well... here's how the new pot sits....

here's the original pot on the unit.....

and here's a pic without the pots......

I think tomorrow I'll do some cutting and give it another go. Or maybe just push the support for the burner up a bit, I could bend it or use some shims under it.

thanks for the replies.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Check "Agri supply" for a larger burner @ around $13. you can get 60K BTU. Cheers

Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I've seen some people wrap tin-foil around the base to try and keep more heat in.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
GMesick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Your picture looks a lot like my setup. When I got the larger pot, I took out a wrench, removed the ring, then bent the supporting arms flat (using my vice). That brought the pot down to where the old one sat inside the ring--and so closer to the frame.

BTW, if you want a more powerful burner, you can just replace the burner. The rest is just metal--no need to pay for it twice. Many sources will allow you to replace the burner with another one that fits. Here is one from Amazon that will fit the frame you have:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...6211258&sr=8-1

Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
tbel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMesick View Post
Your picture looks a lot like my setup. When I got the larger pot, I took out a wrench, removed the ring, then bent the supporting arms flat (using my vice). That brought the pot down to where the old one sat inside the ring--and so closer to the frame.

BTW, if you want a more powerful burner, you can just replace the burner. The rest is just metal--no need to pay for it twice. Many sources will allow you to replace the burner with another one that fits. Here is one from Amazon that will fit the frame you have:

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic BG10 High Pressure Cast-Iron Replacement Burner for Round Bayou Classic Cooker Frames: Patio, Lawn & Garden
I've been looking at the other burners. The ring on mine is welded so I would have to cut it off. I don't think it would effect the function, I believe the ring is simply a safety feature to keep the original pot on.
I'll work with it today and see what I can do.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used to have a burner like that but upgraded my burner to this guy, which was a HUGE difference. The only problem is that it can eat up a lot of fuel.
Propane Cast Iron Burners, High Pressure Cast Iron Fry Burner BG12
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/images/...ast_burner.jpg

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Quick Reply