Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Teufelhunden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How much time?

I have a Kolsch in the primary sitting a 65df, how long should I wait before taking a reading?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

2 to 3 weeks

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
mrcoldone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spludge View Post
2 to 3 weeks
I was wondering the same thing, but I have a weizenbier. On all of the instructions it says to wait 7 days. Its been 6 days and I'm getting antsy.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

good things come to those who wait!

waiting is not fun, but you will reap the rewards!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Beer kit instructions can be wrong and often have short times. I saw one which said the beer is ready to drink after being in the bottle a week. Your better off researching methods online or in books.

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I take a sample and check the SG on a weekly basis. Seems often enough to see how it's going but not so often that it falls under "messing with the beer" too much.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
GrizlyGarou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check it whenever you want, as often as you want. Just keep in mind that the more you check it, the more you lose and the more chances you have of infecting it.

I have the stick-on fermometers on my bucket and carboy, and one of them is always further along than the other. When the younger one gets down to the same temperature as the older one (I have no temperature control beyond the temperature of my basement being 60-63 degrees) I'll take a sample. It's always worked out that when the temperature bottomed out they were done fermenting. That's usually around a week, give or take a few days. If you leave it on the yeast for another week or two, you'll end up with beer that's more delicious, though.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
mrcoldone
Recipes 

This may sound like a dumb question but this is my first batch, so do you have to take a reading with the hydrometer? I just really don't wanna mess anything up. Also would it be a bad thing if I went ahead and racked the beer after 7 days? I had so much fun making my first batch, I already have the second kit out and ready.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoldone View Post
This may sound like a dumb question but this is my first batch, so do you have to take a reading with the hydrometer? I just really don't wanna mess anything up. Also would it be a bad thing if I went ahead and racked the beer after 7 days? I had so much fun making my first batch, I already have the second kit out and ready.
Don't rack until your hydrometer tells you too. That's why I check once a week. When it hits it's FG and then is the same the next week, I consider it done. More time in the primary after fermentation is complete is a GOOD thing.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #10
mrcoldone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Don't rack until your hydrometer tells you too. That's why I check once a week. When it hits it's FG and then is the same the next week, I consider it done. More time in the primary after fermentation is complete is a GOOD thing.
Alright, I guess ill check it tomorrow, which is exactly a week. Then wait another week? Hopefully it comes out great! Has anyone had the Weizenbier from the brewers best kit? I cant wait to try my own home brew! This is alot more exciting than I thought it would be!

Quick Reply