How much sugar for bottling a dry irish stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanPC

Reaction score
Made a NB dry Irish stout kit and they supplied the priming sugar of .5 oz. I've heard that may be to much. Thoughts anyone.

Assuming 5 gallons, at near room temps, TastyBrew calls for around 2.5 oz. What size of batch are you doing?

Og-1042 fg-1011, 5 gallons, and 68 deg. Temp stayed between 66-70 deg through first 2 weeks. Decide to take a reading today and came out with 1011.

If I need more can I just add more corn sugar or white sugar? I don't have a scale so I would have to eyeball it. Which, im not that bad at.

IanPC said:
If I need more can I just add more corn sugar or white sugar? I don't have a scale so I would have to eyeball it. Which, im not that bad at.

Any white sugar (corn, beet or cane) fine will work. Cane sugar has more energy per ounce. Eyeballing just over half cup should get you there.

Get a cheap digital scale and there are free online calculators to be more precise.

I'd fire away with whatever they recommend. I just did an Irish Stout kit, and added a cold coffee press. Kind of... an... awesome beer! Used all of the corn sugar they recommended... Bottles are very much good to go now.

IanPC said:
Made a NB dry Irish stout kit and they supplied the priming sugar of .5 oz. I've heard that may be to much. Thoughts anyone.

And you didn't mean .5 oz, right?

I did mean .5 oz, that's the amount of priming sugar that came with the kit.

I did mean .5 oz, that's the amount of priming sugar that came with the kit.

I brewed the same kit. It comes with 5 oz of corn sugar. If you have 5 gal of beer in your fermenter, use the whole package, otherwise 1 oz per gal has always worked well for me. You should get a digital scale, it saves guesswork.:mug:

I like most of my beers carbed at 2.3-2.4 volumes, even dry stout, so I'd use the whole package. Carbing "to style" doesn't really work for me, as I like my beers carbed well unless a true "cask" style ale.

I use one quarter of a level teaspoon of brewing sugar in every bottle of every brew, I like condidition, but not excessive carbonation.

Back