Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much priming sugar do I need?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
simat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much priming sugar do I need?

I'm currently brewing 5 gallons of coopers lager, and the gravity has been the same for 3 days now, so I'm going to be kegging it in the next day or 2. How much priming sugar will I need roughly? And is priming sugar some sort of special sugar, or can I just use the same brewing sugar I used at the start?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

If you are going to be kegging it why not just force carb it? Set the psi to 30 and purge then seal. After there is no more gas going in set it aside for a couple of weeks. Then take it back to the co2 and hit it with 12 psi and leave it there for a week or so. in the fridge.

Thats the only way I would carb my beer if I had a keg. The extra time is good for the beer.

If you want to use priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch 3/4 cup is standard. You could try more or less depending on what kind of carbonation you want. I just used 1 cup for the batch I bottled today hoping I may get more head out of the beer. I am not to concerened about bottle bombs, my first batch did not have any and I only added an extra 1/4 cup.

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
simat
Recipes 

The force carbing sounds like a good idea, except my keg kind of broke, and as a result it's still air tight, but I no longer have anywhere to put a CO2 bulb in. Also, I'm guessing I wouldn't have the equipment to set the psi.

So looks like priming sugar for me. I don't want it too carbonated, but obviously don't want it to be flat, so I guess I'll do 3/4 of a cup. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Maybe I am missing something here. If you don't have regulators/gauges or a way to pressurize the keg, how are you going to dispense your beer once it is ready?
Sounds like you might be better off bottling.... or I just haven't read far enough between the lines.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
simat
Recipes 

My keg is air-tight, so pressure will build up inside it. When the pressure gets too low to let beer out the tap, I guess I'm just going to have to loosen the lid to let air in (even though I know it will make it go flat quickly). This is my first brew, so I'm kind of just using it as a tester, and if the beer turns out sucessful, I will buy a new keg.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by simat View Post
My keg is air-tight, so pressure will build up inside it. When the pressure gets too low to let beer out the tap, I guess I'm just going to have to loosen the lid to let air in (even though I know it will make it go flat quickly). This is my first brew, so I'm kind of just using it as a tester, and if the beer turns out sucessful, I will buy a new keg.
If you set the keg up above where you are dispensing you can use gravity to dispense the beer.

Something akin to how some people dispense cask ale.

Last edited by mmb; 08-22-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
If you set the keg up above where you are dispensing you can use gravity to dispense the beer.

Something akin to how so people dispense cask ale.
This seems like the only way you'll be able to dispense. You most likely get a horrible pour if any without Co2 hooked up for dispensing. I could just bottle this batch!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply