Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much priming sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Koryb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much priming sugar?

I have only used kits in the past, and this last batch I put ingredients together, but now it is time to bottle, and I am not sure how much sugar to use for carbination, I want to use Cane Sugar, for priming , but I don't know how much to use. Any advise is appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

On normal priming sugar in a kit it is 1 oz, by weight, per gallon...so, 5 oz for 5 gallon. I think for cane sugar you would use 3.7 oz for 5 gallons. I boil it for a few minutes in 1/2 a cup of water, let it cool and dump into the bottom of my bottling bucket. Then, put your siphon tubing in the bottom of the bucket and transfer the beer on top trying not to splash. The swirling action will mix the sugar for you. Proceed to bottling.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Koryb
Recipes 

thanks, I will give it a a shot!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Don't do a "one size fits all" - some beers should be more carbonated than others.

This one is great - lets you pick the style as well as the sugar you are using.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Don't do a "one size fits all" - some beers should be more carbonated than others.

This one is great - lets you pick the style as well as the sugar you are using.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I second this.

Also weigh your corn sugar. It will give you a much more accurate amount than volume which can change depending on how compacted the sugar is in the measuring cup.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

In my opinion, very few bottles should have a big difference in carbonation levels. I like almost all of my beers at 2.4-2.5 volumes of co2 out of a bottle.

It's true that some beers traditionally have lower carb levels, and to be "to style" that is true. But the only was I like English beers flat like the style recommends is when it's on cask. Most bottle beers that are sold in the US are not flat like some of those style guidelines recommend. Also, some of those guidelines (I think weizens?) will cause bottle bombs or at least lots and lots of foaming in a bottle.

I almost always use .75-1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer for priming. For table sugar, it'd be a tiny bit less. I'd use 4 ounces of table sugar for 5 gallons of beer when using table sugar.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I brewed a hefe recently and carbed it to darn near 4 vols and no bombs. More foam than an ale, sure, but I wanted to be true to style. I used a calculator online to help me determine my residual CO2 to be safe about it.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2023 Times on 1772 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Here's the priming calculator I use; http://http://www.tastybrew.com/calc...s/priming.html
I think it's better & safer to prime to style. That way,if you had a stablr FG you know you won't get bottle bombs. You don't want an English bitter with high carbonation,or a nearly flat American IPA.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
brew4allMI
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I usually use the ounce to gallon ratio although it may not make all brewed beers "to style". I have added the traditional 5 ounces priming to my batches and only had one issue of over carbonation. After boiling to dissolve it let it cool for 5-10 minutes before you add it to your bottlling bucket and adding your wort.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Both schools of thought are correct here IMO.. when I started brewing I did 1 oz corn sugar per batch.. then I started using the calculator and to be honest It didn't really matter to me...Now I am kegging with a single regulator so back to everything at the same carbonation level for now......Oh and when you put the priming sugar into the bottling bucket it is not really necessary to let it cool down.. the tiny volume in 5 gallons of beer will make a nominal difference in temp. You will scald some yeast at first but you will have plenty to bottle condition.. cooling is even more unnecessary if you cold crash your beers.

BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply