*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much O2 do I put in my wort before adding yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
tinydancer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much O2 do I put in my wort before adding yeast?

I picked up a bottle of O2 from the local gas supply company. If I use it to put O2 into the wort, how much is enough? Do I add for a certain amount of time, or is there just an art to it? Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Are you using a diffusion stone or are you planning on just dropping a tube in there and pumping O2 through the wort. I usually let mine go for a few minutes with a stone, you want as much O2 in the wort as possible. Any O2 not used will be forced out of suspention and eventually forced out of your carboy. While it is possible to over oxygenate your wort, it is very very difficult on the home brew level with the small O2 cansiters they sell at home depot.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Here's an article on oxygenation from Wyeast: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

Also, if you don't have a diffusion stone, you might want to pick one up to make the O2 absorption more efficient. I use this one http://morebeer.com/view_product/182...ron_26%22_long from MoreBeer and it seems to work well.

My standard is to run oxygen through the stone for 2 minutes while swirling it around in the wort, and so far I've had good results.

Planning: n/a

Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I forgot, if you find a place that sells the liquid oxygen drops those things are amazing, you only have to put 3 drops from the eyedropper into your wort and shake it up it oxygenates almost perfectly every time.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D

Old 06-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
I forgot, if you find a place that sells the liquid oxygen drops those things are amazing, you only have to put 3 drops from the eyedropper into your wort and shake it up it oxygenates almost perfectly every time.
I'm assuming you don't mean actual liquid oxygen, so what are these "liquid oxygen drops"?
Planning: n/a

Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

yea I mean actual liquid oxygen, there is a home brew store on jupiter that sells it, they apparently can walk around and just scoop up liquid oxygen from pools in their medium, I am sure it is quite abundant on any planet with a gravitational pull more than 300 times what you experience on earth.

Quote:

Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
yea I mean actual liquid oxygen, there is a home brew store on jupiter that sells it, they apparently can walk around and just scoop up liquid oxygen from pools in their medium, I am sure it is quite abundant on any planet with a gravitational pull more than 300 times what you experience on earth.
Awesome!

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 07-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
jay672
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
LOL Thats just funny

Quick Reply