The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much more can my beer ferment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Davidsons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default How much more can my beer ferment?

So I made an IPA with only two-row and no other malts. My original og was 1.065 and after 2 weeks my final gravity is at 1.003. My estimated final was 1.011. But the yeast in beer is still active. The air stopper doesn't bubble much but every few seconds yeast rises to the top and than breaks apart and falls back down. I've seen yeast do this like 3-4 days into fermentation but not two weeks in and not with such a high abv.

I did taste my sample and the beer has no off flavors and taste amazing. Probably one of the best beers I've made.

I guess my question is, should I move it to a secondary or leave it since it seems like its still active?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

WOW, that is some serious yeast! What are you using, whit labs super packman variety? Totally your call on using a secondary or not. You can transfer once the bulk of the fermentation is over (usually 3-4 days for ales). There is still yeast in suspension that will continue consume remaining sugar even after transferring to a secondary. With a basic recipe however I usually just let it ride in the primary...........

Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
Davidsons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm actauly using a hybrid yeast made from a mix of so5 and some washed yeast I've been using all summer. The washed yeast is very fruity so I combined it with the so5 to make it more crisp and also help with the gravity.

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply