The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much liquid yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
RiversC174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much liquid yeast?

Hey I'm making my next ale with Coopers Real Ale and 3 lbs. DME. I am going to try Wyeast liquid yeast for the first time. The one I was going to use was the Northwest Ale Activator. I just wanted to know if I should use just one packet or two of the Wyeast. I'm in the process of searching the forum for when a yeast starter is needed but I wanted to place my order tonight. Just wanted to know if this yeast requires a starter or not. Thanks!

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You should make a starter with all liquid yeast but sometimes/most times it will work without one. One pack of yeast will do especially if you make a starter. Look at this site... http://www.ebrew.com/primarynews/yeast_starter_beer.htm that should help you out.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversC174
I'm in the process of searching the forum for when a yeast starter is needed but I wanted to place my order tonight. Just wanted to know if this yeast requires a starter or not. Thanks!

Joe
One packet of Wyeast, definitely.

A starter is more a nice convenience than a necessity. The Wyeast smack pack actually *is* a small starter, in fact: when you "smack" it, you release a small amount of wort in to mix with the yeast.

I always activate the yeast pack 3-4 days before I expect to brew, then make a starter when it's good and plump. If the starter reaches the high kreusen stage before I'm ready to brew, I put it in the fridge. I find this a little easier than pitching straight from the smack pack, because you're never quite sure how long it's going to take to activate.

But I have pitched the Wyeast straight from the smack pack before--it works. You'll just get a faster start with a starter: a fast start is good because the sooner the yeasties get rolling, the less chance there is for the nasties to take hold, and the less you worry.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a quick note, while the pack of nutrients in the Wyeast smack packs are enough to help "wake up" the yeast, Wyeast themselves have noted that there isn't enough there to make an impact on your cell count, so a starter is the way to go if you're looking to strengthen your yeast brigade.

Though, as cweston notes, you can pitch right from the smack pack, which is what I did the first time I ever used liquid yeast. The beer turned out fine.

Quick Reply