How much light is too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I usually use my conical to ferment so I have never worried about light too much, just kept it out of direct light in the basement. Now I have a couple more batches going in better bottles too and I wonder how concerned I have to be with the light level. There is a big set of double doors down there but I have the bottles behind the couch on the opposite side; should they be covered with something as well? Does light from a lamp hurt anything or just sunlight?

Different sources of light affect beers in different ways. Most importantly keeping it out of sunlight is the most crucial however, even under artificial lighting beer can develop off flavors over a period of time. Some have no problems not covering the carboys but it wouldnt hurt to throw a dark t-shirt or a towel over them just to ease your mind. Myself, I always cover my carboys for the entire month that they hold beer.

Two things that should never see natural daylight in any situation. A clear fermenter and Betty White's boobies......OK, three things.

sunlight, black lights, and fluorescent lights should all be avoided.
men's size medium t-shirt fits nicely over a carboy.

Back