Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much light is too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used a flashlight to monitor the end of the racking cane during racking, with no real issues. I typically ferment in my upstairs bathroom, which is dark 99.99% of the time, except when I take my daily #2, then I just leave the shower curtain shut. never had an issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I have used a flashlight to monitor the end of the racking cane during racking, with no real issues. I typically ferment in my upstairs bathroom, which is dark 99.99% of the time, except when I take my daily #2, then I just leave the shower curtain shut. never had an issue.
talk about overkill.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

seriously.... I brew outside, granted I don't ferment outside, I keep my windows open during transfers and whatnot...

Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
seriously.... I brew outside, granted I don't ferment outside, I keep my windows open during transfers and whatnot...
The skunking reaction doesn't happen until fermentation has occurred so brewing outside isn't an issue, but after it can happen extremely quickly. As part of a brewing class I took we purposely skunked a pint of beer to see how quickly we noticed a difference and I could tell a difference in about 3 minutes of direct sun, and after about 15 is was pretty bad.

Of course like I said earlier, a beer in the fermenter isn't going to have the same issues, but it can happen, even with indirect exposure.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
The skunking reaction doesn't happen until fermentation has occurred so brewing outside isn't an issue, but after it can happen extremely quickly.

I realize that, which is why I said "granted I don't ferment outside".

on the other hand, I thought skunking happened because of alpha acids' reaction with UV light, which means fermentation has nothing to do with it.

Am I right?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #16
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I don't cover mine at all and I don't notice any skunking. Never had a judge comment about skunking either.

I also don't keep it in bright sunlight. Sometimes it's in the bathroom. It gets some indirect sunlight in there and some light from the fluorescents.

I think indirect exposure is fine. However do not pour yourself a pint of IPA and proceed to sip it on the sun drenched veranda.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #17
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
I realize that, which is why I said "granted I don't ferment outside".

on the other hand, I thought skunking happened because of alpha acids' reaction with UV light, which means fermentation has nothing to do with it.

Am I right?
The yeast provides Vitamin B2 which acts as a photosynthesizer, catalyzing the conversion of oxygen to singlet oxygen. This oxygen then “destroys” isohumulone and in the process radicals are formed. The radical reacts with sulfur containing proteins, forming a thiol called 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol, which is the same chemical found in skunks. Without the yeast present, the reaction can't begin to take place.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #18
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
The yeast provides Vitamin B2 which acts as a photosynthesizer, catalyzing the conversion of oxygen to singlet oxygen. This oxygen then “destroys” isohumulone and in the process radicals are formed. The radical reacts with sulfur containing proteins, forming a thiol called 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol, which is the same chemical found in skunks. Without the yeast present, the reaction can't begin to take place.
This should be in the brewing science forum . I wish I could take a brewing class.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #19
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

so using 50 uv led's as a nightlight for the fermenter is a BAD idea?

Quick Reply