Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much hotter than ambient air does internal fermentation really get???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
bgough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How much hotter than ambient air does internal fermentation really get???

Palmer says up to 10 degrees hotter, but what exactly is a typical increase?

The ambient air in my closet (where Im fermenting) stays pretty consistantly between 66 and 68, but I'm wondering if this is too warm during the attenuative stage.

I know about the stick on thermometers, but I've heard that they're not always reliable, especially since I use a plastic primary.

Last edited by bgough; 03-08-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

10 is the upper limit, 0 is the lower.

A quick mathulation determines that 5 degrees is average. YMMV.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
nasmeyer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have brewed mostly pale ales with Wyeast 1056, and have found as much as a 7-8 degree rise over ambient air temp for the first 4 days or so, then it cools off while the fermenting slows down. I currently have an Oberon clone using Wyeast 3724 in my primary in my 64* basement, and the Ale Pail has only reached a high of 67*

It varies, and has alot to do with type of yeast and air temp. I am using a fermometer and I am sure it doesn't reflect the true internal fermenting temp, just close I guess.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
LaurieGator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I am doing my primary in a glass carboy with a water bath at approximately 72F with towels wrapped around it and I am finding that my initial fermentation is 68F. My other fermentation (that is close to finished) is about 65F. So, I am assuming using my water bath and towels my fermentation temp is about 3F warmer than a close to finished fermentation.

When my ambient temp was about 72 - 74F, I used a 5 - 7F difference in plain air with the glass carboy. This is why I went with the water bath for my initial fermentation. Depending on how thick your plastic carboy/bucket is, you may end up with more insulation from your ambient air.

If my ambient air temp was between 66 - 68F, I would not have my water setup going right now, I would just go for it in ambient air... YMMV...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have always used a refrigerator after my early brewing because I was frustrated with trying to keep temperatures where they should be. I use a Ranco controller to hold within 2 degrees of the set temperature. It all depends on how much you like having control over your brewing process and how much you like brewing. Generally the more fermentable sugars and the more yeast the higher the temperature goes.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 908 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If the OG is big and the yeast pitch is adequate, it's about 10F.

Here are pics from two batches in my fermentation fridge. The first one is a huge barleywine in active fermentation. The temp controller probe is attached to this batch to hold it at 68F.

This one is an amber that was fully finished fermenting so its temp is only subject to ambient temps.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am brewing my first nut brown w a dry yeast call "Danstar Nottingham brewing yeast. ambient holds tight at 68. Noticed my primary is creeping up to 72 and bubbler smells like bananas after 3 days.
I will cool down the ferment to 68, but not sure if the esters have already made me a banana nut brown ale...

Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4631 Times on 4313 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

Looking like that bottle seen better days buddy. I have seen crevass (sp) less dramatic than that.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Gosassin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Looking like that bottle seen better days buddy. I have seen crevass (sp) less dramatic than that.
I think that's the cord for his temperature sensor.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I think that is a wire of some type, not a crack in his fermenter. But I could be wrong.

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Quick Reply