Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how much head room do you leave at the top of your bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
bgough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default how much head room do you leave at the top of your bottles?

1 inch? 2 inch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I fill them up all the way with my gravity bottling wand. After pulling it out, it leaves a little more than an inch or so as headspace.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Memorex88
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
I fill them up all the way with my gravity bottling wand. After pulling it out, it leaves a little more than an inch or so as headspace.
+1
Same thing here.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Bartman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Exactly 1.6543 inches. I use my 3 piece precision bottling wand. I think it is produced in the same region of China as my precision 3 piece airlock!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
Glubki
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 2 Posts

I fill them up as stated above but as I pull the wand out I tip it to the side and press it against the inside edge of the bottle top at an angle. This allows me to leave about a half inch of head space.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
lmg95
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glubki View Post
I fill them up as stated above but as I pull the wand out I tip it to the side and press it against the inside edge of the bottle top at an angle. This allows me to leave about a half inch of head space.
this is also what i do... it seems like if i pull out the bottling wand when the bottle is full is leaves more than 1.5" headspace
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: DFH 60-min IPA & "Chinook" Blonde Ale
Keg #1:Blue Balls Wit
Kegs #2,3,4: empty :(
Planned: Centennial Blonde

Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does more, or less head room lead to less chance of explosion?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
reinbrew
Recipes 

Does anyone out there just guess? I also just use the bottling wand.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Well the only way it seems that someone would need to figure it our for themselves would mean that they are bottling in such a way that may be harmful to their beer. Even if you don't have a bottling wand, you should at least be using a piece of hose coming out of the spigot so that you are filling the bottle from the bottom up. That way the co2 that is already present with be pushing an o2 up and out of the bottle as the beer rises.

A tube in the bottle is still going to create a displacement, that when you remove it, will give you headroom.

If you are just cracking open a spigot, or not sticking a hose all the way down to the bottom, then your beer is falling through the air in the bottles, and COULD lead to oxidation.

I don't know if the diameter of a tube will affect the displacement and therefore the amount of headspace in the bottle, but if it's big enough to fit on your spigot more than likely it's going to give you the correct amount of headspace automatically.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
JBmadtown
Recipes 

- I don't think head space will change your risk of explosion. Explosions are usually from incomplete fermentations and so following gravities should prevent this.

- There was a post somewhere that I read talking about how head space will affect carbonation time. I think it was a smaller head space lead to faster carbonation. Something about the CO2 needs to fill the headspace and then create enough pressure to push it back into the beer.

Quick Reply