Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much gelatin to use to clear beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default How much gelatin to use to clear beer?

I am going to try gelatin to clear my beer for the first time tonight. I plan on using 1 Tbps in 1/2 cup water. I'll use warm tap water to dissolve and then hit it up a little on the stove until it is all dissolved. My beer is at 63 right now. I think I'm going to add the gelatin at that temp and then slowly bring it down to 40 to cold condition for a few days.

Is 1 Tbps enough or do I need to use more?

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 125

1/2 tsp in 1/2 cup water is usually sufficient. 1 tsp works too. I don't think more than that will get anymore sedimentation.
Nighthawk has posted an easy technique to rehydrate gelatin: add the gelatin to cool water and let it sit for 1/2 hour. Then microwave for 10 second bursts until it clears- usually 2 or 3 bursts. Easy, peasy.......

Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Use less. 1Tbsp is too much and can actually lead to chill haze. I use about 1 tsp. The volume of water you use to dissolve it is not really important other than the volume it adds to your beer. I prefer to use a little more water as if it is too thick, you run the danger of it solidifying too quickly and making jello blobs in your beer, which isn't a problem, except that jello blobs don't help to clear a beer

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hey guys, going to revive this thread. I have been cold crashing a beer for about a week now and it still hasn't cleared. I want this bee to be crystal clear. It is a 2.5 gallon batch. The current temp is about 44*. Is it possible to add gelatin to this batch at the current temp? I don't really want to raise it to 60 to add the geltain, just to drop it again. Also, would 1/4 tsp of gelatin do the trick?

Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 1605

I've always been told that the beer should be as cold as possible (~33-36 degrees) before adding gelatin. I'm by no means an expert here though, I just don't see why you should have to raise it to 60.

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

hunter - Thanks for the response. See I have read mixed reviews, but more leaning to the side of adding it when it is room temp so it is mixed around better before it is chilled and pulled everything out. If you put it in cold already it will just form into gelatin immediately and fall right to the bottom not pulling all out that it could if it was added warm. I guess I will have to get my own personal take on this. Just curious to know the amount to add.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
BrewerDon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is a copy and paste from a post that I made to a similar thread:

I keep seeing posts quoted in this thread where some are saying that you MUST add the gelatin at room temperature. This is not true. Adding at room temperature may work but you don't have to warm up the beer to add gelatin.

In fact, in the book New Lager Brewing, Greg Noonan says it is best to add gelatin at a temperature UNDER 50 degrees and that closer to freezing is even better.

I have always done it this way and the beer clears up incredibly well. The Gelatin does NOT turn to Jello as some here have been warning. Perhaps people have had issues because they added the gelatin at cooler temperatures but didn't follow the other instructions. Here is what Greg Noonan says:

For a 5 gallon batch of beer, add 5 grams of gelatin to 10 ounces of water, cover it, and let it sit for an hour (to bloom). Then, gently heat it up and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Heat to 150 - 160. Do not go over 160 degrees. Then, do not let the gelatin cool to under 120 degrees before adding it to your beer. In other words, the gelatin solution should be between 120 and 160 degrees when you add it to your beer and mix it in. Mix it into the beer gently for 2 to 3 minutes.

I stir mine into the carboy with a sanitized racking cane. You can also gently rock the carboy. I keep saying gently because you don't want to add oxygen to your beer.

Like I said, this works extremely well. I've done it with a cloudy Kolsch yeast and it cleared it right up. No floating Jello. Just beautiful, clear beer.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

BrewerDon - Thanks! I will half everything (2.5g's and 5oz of water) and add it to my Pale Ale tonight!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
BrewerDon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
BrewerDon - Thanks! I will half everything (2.5g's and 5oz of water) and add it to my Pale Ale tonight!
You are welcome. I cleared my last 2 batches at the same temperature that you are currently at - 44 degrees F. After I stirred in the gelatin solution the beer got cloudier because I stirred up sediment. That's OK. I think they stayed cloudy for at least 3 days. I'm not sure when they started clearing but l know they were clear after a week.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, you kegged these correct? I am bottling so I figure it'll take at least 3 weeks to carb up properly, as the gelatin might strip out any floculant yeast. I am going to leave them at room temp, which in my house is about 70-75 depending on what the weather in Florida feels like doing.

Quick Reply