Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How much do temps affect yeast before pitching?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Casey27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much do temps affect yeast before pitching?

I am wondering how much of a negative effect room temperature has on yeast while it is still in the vial.
I ordered WLP530 from Northern Brewer because I could not find it at my local shop. Due to "bad weather" UPS took 10 days in transit to deliver it. (Hmmm, USPS delivered during EVERY single day of that so-called bad weather...) I ordered and was charged for two cold packs from NB to keep the yeast cool, but they failed to include ANY cold packs in my shipment.
So, I made a 3-liter starter following tried and true methods (1.040 OG, temps around 70 deg. F, serious shaking for aeration). Pitched in upper 60s F.
After three days there has been zero sign of life and no CO2 production. Checked gravity and it is unchanged.

Do you think that 10 days in shipping could really have harmed the yeast that badly? I would think that at least some of the cells would have survived!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say wait a few more days and I'd bet your starter will start showing signs of activity in a few days. I've had starters with long lag times before so it's not uncommon. If you don't see any more activity from the starter in a few days, then it most likely was a bad batch of yeast before it was shipped. In that case, whoever you purchased it from will most likely replace it for you, that's the industry standard from what I've seen.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #3
Casey27
Recipes 

You're right! It finally started bubbling on the evening of the fourth day.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Casey27,

NB is a bit far away to order if you live in Wa

I would try Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies | MoreBeer or austin home brew they are a bit closer

more beer is in California and they take about 3 days to get an order to WA,

where in WA are you ?

-Jason

Quick Reply