Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to most safely get a hydrometer reading in plastic fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
timsch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to most safely get a hydrometer reading in plastic fermenter

So I'm brewing my first ale in the 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter. It's been almost two weeks and I want to get a hydrometer reading. I'm aware of how we're supposed to protect the brew from outside air, but I don't see a way other than removing the lid to either get a sample or to drop the hydrometer into the bucket, given the equipment that I have.

Is this short term surface exposure to the atmosphere alright as long as I don't sneeze or drop hair, etc?

I've searched the forum, but am coming up empty on answers on this one. Recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you want to pop the lid, and get a sample with a sanitized thief.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Corkster
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Pulling the lid is a necessary evil... You'll be fine..... as for the reading, I'd sanitize a turkey baster or something to pull a sample out and use the hydrometer in a test jar.... besides than you get to taste your sample...... it will be very hard to read the hydrometer when it's in the bucket and on top of that you'll have to get yer grubby fingers in yer brew to fish the hydrometer back out...

Give a man a beer and he'll drink for a minute. Teach a man to brew beer and you've created a monster.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsch View Post
So I'm brewing my first ale in the 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter. It's been almost two weeks and I want to get a hydrometer reading. I'm aware of how we're supposed to protect the brew from outside air, but I don't see a way other than removing the lid to either get a sample or to drop the hydrometer into the bucket, given the equipment that I have.

Is this short term surface exposure to the atmosphere alright as long as I don't sneeze or drop hair, etc?

I've searched the forum, but am coming up empty on answers on this one. Recommendations?
The easiest way is to sanitize a wine thief or a turkey baster, remove the lid, and draw your sample and simply replace the lid. It'll be fine to do that. As long as whatever you're using to take your sample with is sanitized, taking samples is ok. Make sure you don't pour your hydrometer sample back into the fermenter, though- you can drink that to see how things are progressing if you want.

It's important to be sanitary, but just opening a fermenter to air isn't going to harm it, or allow harmful yeast and bacteria to invade, unless you're fermenting in a barnyard.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

also, you dont have to worry about the beer being exposed to air, as after 2 weeks of fermentation, you have a nice healthy layer of CO2 on top of the beer to act as a buffer.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker_Brew View Post
you want to pop the lid, and get a sample with a sanitized thief.
Bingo. CO2 is heavier than air, so opening your bucket every once in a while isn't a big deal. That CO2 cushion will keep your beer relatively safe. Dunk in a sanitized wine thief, and either pour that into a hydrometer vial or just add your hydrometer to the thief.

Last edited by llazy_llama; 03-06-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I take the airlock out of the rubber gromment, or the drilled stopper (which ever applies), and run a length of sanitized 1/4" OD plastic tubing down into the wort.

Then I siphon 3/4 of a cup into my gravity test jar, ease the tubing out of the fermentor, replace the airlock, measure the SG, AND drink the gravity sample.

Viola!

Pogo

Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
timsch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions and reassurances. I'm off to grab a sample now.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #9
TheBandit
Recipes 

I've been reading on a few threads about not putting the sample for a gravity reading back in the fermentor. If you used a sanitized theif and hydrometer what would be the risk?
Anthony

Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I've been reading on a few threads about not putting the sample for a gravity reading back in the fermentor. If you used a sanitized theif and hydrometer what would be the risk?
Anthony
Low but non-zero, there's always the chance a bug floats in.

Plus, many brewers like to drink the sample to get a feel for how the beer is progressing.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply