Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to mix priming sugar??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
bredstein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panky View Post
I learned my lesson after a few batches because it sucks to end up with half a glass of head
I have always thought that the head is mostly affected by the way you pour. Go slow and along the glass, and there will be almost no head at all no matter what style you are pouring!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
StinkyVp
Dictator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I stir. My first few batches were carbonated unevenly. My one and only bottle bomb came from batch #1. Some bottles were very under carbonated. I just give it a few slow stirs to make sure it's all distributed evenly. If anything I think my light ale is under carbonated using recommended amounts. That is still something I am trying to tweak. I use cane sugar now too.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
smalltownbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie

Don't stir it, just add your boiled and cooled priming sugar liquid to your bottling bucket and rack your beer into it, that process will sufficiently mix.
This is not always sufficient, you should always gently stir it in, the solution is heavier than the beer and you could risk the chance that some of the sugar solution could have sat on the bottom of the bucket even though you racked on top of it.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2131 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1573

I rack a few inches of beer into the bottling bucket first. Then add the priming solution. Sometimes I still give it a dozen or so gentle stirs with an upward motion just to be sure.
Panky Likes This 
Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
Panky
Recipes 

Likes Given: 48

I will also put a +1 on not stirring. I just siphon it with the priming sugar and I might even move the tube around in the bucket a bit for the hell of it and it has worked perfectly fine for me I have pondered stirring it a bit but that just introduces another piece of equipment that could contaminate the beer or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredstein View Post
I have always thought that the head is mostly affected by the way you pour. Go slow and along the glass, and there will be almost no head at all no matter what style you are pouring!
The way you pour it does make a difference but if the beer is overcarbonated, it's like every sip is an explosion in your mouth and you really build up some burping pressure lol. I just don't really enjoy the beer when it's like that and unfortunately you can't adjust the carbonation after the fact like you can with a keg. I find the calculators useful and personally use Beersmith at the moment and it has given me the exact carbonation that I was looking for in my last 2 batches

Quick Reply