Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to mix priming sugar??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
CyberBob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How to mix priming sugar??

I'm bottling tomorrow and have a quick question. Brewing guides all say to disturb the fermented brew as little as possible when racking to a bottling bucket. However, if you pour in your priming sugar mix after boiling and then gently rack in your brew how do you get a good mix with the primer? Is it OK to stir after racking to the bottling bucket?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBob
I'm bottling tomorrow and have a quick question. Brewing guides all say to disturb the fermented brew as little as possible when racking to a bottling bucket. However, if you pour in your priming sugar mix after boiling and then gently rack in your brew how do you get a good mix with the primer? Is it OK to stir after racking to the bottling bucket?
Don't stir it, just add your boiled and cooled priming sugar liquid to your bottling bucket and rack your beer into it, that process will sufficiently mix.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison
Panky Likes This 
Old 06-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I'd also suggest consulting a bottle priming guide for sugar quantity (such as tastybrew.com) rather than the obligatory 5 oz included in most kits

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison
Panky Likes This 
Old 06-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Put your siphon hose at the side of the bucket so that it creates an eddy. This will mix the solution well enough. I thought I was not getting a good mix so I took a sanitized spoon and gently stirred. (no splashing) I didn't see much difference.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
bredstein
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would also suggest first pour your priming sugar (I boil 2 cups of water and 3/4 cups of cane sugar for a minute a so, then cool down to room temp) in the bucket, then the beer flow will mix with this sugar by itself. Sometimes I forget, and then add this "syrup" to the full bucket. In this case I just stir it with a long spoon, going slow and gentle - never noticed any difference.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Panky
Recipes 

Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I'd also suggest consulting a bottle priming guide for sugar quantity (such as tastybrew.com) rather than the obligatory 5 oz included in most kits
I second this! The 5oz. packs are a major problem because you usually don't end up with 5 gallons in the bottling bucket and even if you do, it might be more than the style calls for. I learned my lesson after a few batches because it sucks to end up with half a glass of head

Old 06-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
kwingert
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I gently stir mine. The priming sugar solution is heavier then your beer and has a hard time mixing with the beer. I stir mine after every 6 bottles to keep it evenly distributed.

Beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy-Franklin

Old 06-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
CyberBob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up stirring gently. I did use the whole 5 oz. package of priming sugar, we'll see how it goes.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Panky
Recipes 

Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBob View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up stirring gently. I did use the whole 5 oz. package of priming sugar, we'll see how it goes.
Shouldn't be a big deal. You might wanna toss one in the fridge 2 weeks in or so and see how the carbonation is though

Old 06-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My racking hose reaches from my autosiphon to the bottom of my bottling bucket, where it creates a whirlpool. When racking starts, I pour in the boiling priming sugar mixture in, and in five years of brewing, I've no evidence that it doesn't mix thoroughly. The fact that it's hot doesn't seem to hurt anything, and two cups of liquid can't raise the temperature of 5 gallons of beer appreciably....

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Panky Likes This 

Quick Reply