Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How many IBU's in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
mahilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How many IBU's in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?

Does anyone know this?

Reason I ask...I have consumed many SNPA's in my day, and in doing so came to realize that I don't care much for highly hopped beer (which is SN's forte). I see this as somewhat of a shame, because for several years I used to live just minutes from the SN brewery, so you'd think I would have developed a taste for it over time. Not so. Anyway, knowing the IBU's of SNPA will give me a frame of reference for the amount of "hopitude" to avoid when brewing my own beer. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #2
BeerMeChasay
Recipes 

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (Bottle) from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company - Ratebeer

IBU:37

But that is only rating the bitterness and isn't taking into account hop flavor or aroma which don't really add much to the IBU's. Hope this helps

Andy Bernard: Will you beer me that disc?

Planning: Weisse or Flavored Wheat
Fermenting: Modified Mack and Jacks Clone Recipe
Bottled: Lacee's Golden Pale Ale, Yooper's DFH 60 Min IPA

Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

According to their website IBU's are at 37, with a Gravity of 13 Plato or about 1.053.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

remember, though, that ibu's are just one part of the picture. guinness extra stout can be up to 60 ibu and it seems less bitter and hoppy than sierra. gravity, finishing hops, alcohol content, carbonation etc. all have an effect on perceived bitterness or hoppiness.

i like sierra a lot but i do find its hop character a bit harsh compared to some other pale ales of similar bitterness. check out mirror pond pale ale from deschutes for the other end of the spectrum, and a favorite of mine is dale's pale ale from oskar blues.

you may also find that lots of hop bitterness just isn't your thing, which still leaves you plenty of options for beers to brew.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1930 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1053

SNPA is a bit light in hop flavor IMO. I like it as a good hoppy pale, but I prefer a good IPA when I'm going hopping. I've had some IPAs that tasted light on the hops and that was due the other factors. Also, I can very much enjoy a less hoppy beer, that has tons of hop aroma.

Quick Reply