Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How many IBU's do I gain/lose when using....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
emgesp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How many IBU's do I gain/lose when using....

only half the LME before the beginning of the boil and the other half at 15 minutes left of boil?

I'm getting about 58 IBU's with my recipie if I were to use all the 8lbs of malt extract pre-boil.

I start off with 3.5 qallons of water, but by the time hops are added about half a gallon has evaporated.

Last edited by emgesp1; 11-10-2008 at 04:45 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

according to beersmith you'll increase your ibus by doing a late addition

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
emgesp1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
according to beersmith you'll increase your ibus by doing a late addition
By a good number? I want to stay within the style which is listed to have 60 IBU's max.

Maybe, I should add half oz of the total 2oz Chinook at 45 minutes left of boil, just to decrease the IBU's a bit.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The maximum threshold of IBUs in a given batch of beer is 100, anything over that is only adding to flavor (and head retention and mouthfeel). This maximum number is also only in worts of around 1.050. Now if you are boiling 3 gal down to about 2.5, and adding 2.5 gal of wort, then your maximum is already sliced down to 50 IBUs in a batch, and that is still with a wort gravity of 1.050 or below.

Now, with a full boil if you are trying to reach a final gravity 1.050, then you will have near 100% efficiency when it come to alpha acid isomerization and IBU absorption, and you can reach the 100 IBU mark, since you would be starting the boil around 1.044. When using LME, this will be about 7 lbs. If you put 7 lbs of LME into only 3 gallons of wort, then you are starting with a pre boil gravity of 1.084, boiling down to probably around 2.5gal at 1.100 before topping of with water to reach your OG of 1.050. Far above the ideal IBU efficiency gravity. This will leave you with a wort that has a max IBU rating of approx. 82.7, not too bad, but wait. After topping off, you will have only 41.4 IBUs.

So without doing a late extract addition you maximum IBU level would be 41.4, not quite the hop bomb you may have thought you were making.

Now, if you add say, half at the end, lets see what that does. Your pre boil gravity will be around 1.042 (very close to that of a full wort boil), and you will boil off around to about 2.5 gal at 1.050, perfect. So now you have 100 IBUs, top off and you are at you maximum of 50 IBUs, still not the hop bomb you thought, but better. If you are only adding 2 gal of top off water, then you max IBU will be 60, 1.5 gal and the max IBU is 70, 1 gal is 80, .5 gal is 90 and not topping off can get you the maximum IBU level of 100.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-10-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
emgesp1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
The maximum threshold of IBUs in a given batch of beer is 100, anything over that is only adding to flavor (and head retention and mouthfeel). This maximum number is also only in worts of around 1.050. Now if you are boiling 3 gal down to about 2.5, and adding 2.5 gal of wort, then your maximum is already sliced down to 50 IBUs in a batch, and that is still with a wort gravity of 1.050 or below.

Now, with a full boil if you are trying to reach a final gravity 1.050, then you will have near 100% efficiency when it come to alpha acid isomerization and IBU absorption, and you can reach the 100 IBU mark, since you would be starting the boil around 1.044. When using LME, this will be about 7 lbs. If you put 7 lbs of LME into only 3 gallons of wort, then you are starting with a pre boil gravity of 1.084, boiling down to probably around 2.5gal at 1.100 before topping of with water to reach your OG of 1.050. Far above the ideal IBU efficiency gravity. This will leave you with a wort that has a max IBU rating of approx. 82.7, not too bad, but wait. After topping off, you will have only 41.4 IBUs.

So without doing a late extract addition you maximum IBU level would be 41.4, not quite the hop bomb you may have thought you were making.

Now, if you add say, half at the end, lets see what that does. Your pre boil gravity will be around 1.042 (very close to that of a full wort boil), and you will boil off around to about 2.5 gal at 1.050, perfect. So now you have 100 IBUs, top off and you are at you maximum of 50 IBUs, still not the hop bomb you thought, but better. If you are only adding 2 gal of top off water, then you max IBU will be 60, 1.5 gal and the max IBU is 70, 1 gal is 80, .5 gal is 90 and not topping off can get you the maximum IBU level of 100.
Hmmm, hate to say this, but this is too much information, but thank you it's still very helpfull.

I'm boiling 3.5 gallons of water. I have about 2.5 lbs of steeping grains and 8lbs of LME. I'm using 2 oz of Chinook at 12% AA at 60 minutes, and I'm adding half oz of Cascade at 6% AA at 15 minutes left of boil.

So, if I add half of the LME pre-boil and the rest 15 minutes left of boil, how many IBU's should I expect.

Lastly, if fermentation goes right, will I not reach a 6% ABV if I use 8lbs of LME?

Last edited by emgesp1; 11-10-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
BarleyWater

Recipes 

OK, you're targeting an OG of about 1.059. With a boil of 3.5 gallons, you can probably expect to be adding 2-2.5 gallons of top off water to the fermenter. The gravity of your boil will be about 1.043 if you only add half the extract at the beginning, boiling down to a gravity of about 1.060 before adding the rest of the malt, so will get the majority of the bittering potential from the hops. You are almost maxing out the bittering potential of your boil at 100, so, if you are adding 2.5 gallons to top off, you will get about 50 IBUs, 2 gallons will get you about 60 IBUs.

On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
emgesp1
Recipes 

Quote:
OK, you're targeting an OG of about 1.059. With a boil of 3.5 gallons, you can probably expect to be adding 2-2.5 gallons of top off water to the fermenter. The gravity of your boil will be about 1.043 if you only add half the extract at the beginning, boiling down to a gravity of about 1.060 before adding the rest of the malt, so will get the majority of the bittering potential from the hops. You are almost maxing out the bittering potential of your boil at 100, so, if you are adding 2.5 gallons to top off, you will get about 50 IBUs, 2 gallons will get you about 60 IBUs.
Thanks

Why does the beer recipator say that my SG will be 1.101 boiling 3.25g of water, and that after top off to expect 1.066 with the grains I'm using?

Last edited by emgesp1; 11-10-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #8
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Well, you must not be telling it that half the extract won't be getting boiled, and I don't know. I put you at 1.066 if you only end up with 4.5 gallons of water, but as long as you are shooting for 5 gallons, it's going to be about 1.059. And don't trust that thing on what it tells you for IBUs, most programs lie about IBUs when it comes to ranges above 100 and to partial boils.

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
emgesp1
Recipes 

Quote:
Well, you must not be telling it that half the extract won't be getting boiled, and I don't know. I put you at 1.066 if you only end up with 4.5 gallons of water, but as long as you are shooting for 5 gallons, it's going to be about 1.059. And don't trust that thing on what it tells you for IBUs, most programs lie about IBUs when it comes to ranges above 100 and to partial boils.

So, will that possibly get me a 6% ABV beer if everything goes well during fermentation?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Yup, about 5.95%, depending on the yeast.

www.franconiabrewing.com

Quick Reply