New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How many different temps are you guys controlling at once, and how do you handle it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
J187
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default How many different temps are you guys controlling at once, and how do you handle it?

I'm just curious as to different approaches. I typically handle my ferm control in a water bath. I have an aquarium heater and use frozen litre bottles. I typically have one fermenter in the bath at 65-68 and say, 50 bottles in a small closet carbing at 70ish... I currently have two fermenters going and 2 brews worth of bottles (100 or so) that are carbing up. I have the fermenters in the bath, but with the bottles I have limited room in the closet and with winter coming, that's not going to stay 70 anymore. I wish I had an easier way of control all these things temperatures AND at slightly different levels.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Use a converted refrigerator or drop freezer. That's what I use. I use an external temperature controller unit with a temperature probe placed on the inside and that can dial in within a half a degree of the fermentation temperature I want. I just duct tape it to the side of my fermentation bucket and it handles temperatures really well.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Use a converted refrigerator or drop freezer. That's what I use. I use an external temperature controller unit with a temperature probe placed on the inside and that can dial in within a half a degree of the fermentation temperature I want. I just duct tape it to the side of my fermentation bucket and it handles temperatures really well.
This is exactly how I do it too.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
J187
Recipes 

And do you cabonate bottles or bottle condition in there as well?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

IMHO, the most important temperature to control is that of your primary fermenter. Carbing can happen anywhere that's at or around room temperature ... yes, it will take longer if it's cool, but that's OK once you get your pipeline going.

I live in Texas, so my problem is keeping things cool, not warm. I use a chest freezer with a Johnson digital thermostat, and I love it.

One trick I've heard for keeping a space warm is using a 40W light bulb in a plug-in socket. I've never tried it myself but may end up putting one in my chest freezer this winter if it gets too chilly in the house.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
billl
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I wouldn't worry to much about the bottles. As long as they are "room temp", they will be fine. If you have a light in the closet, that would probably be enough raise it a couple degrees if you have to. Otherwise, you could just use a heating pad or similar.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
And do you cabonate bottles or bottle condition in there as well?
No, I bottle condition in a spare room where the temperature stays between 68-70 degrees F. You need to maintain this temp range for 3 weeks minimum for bottle conditioning. My wife complains but I pretend not to hear and deftly change the subject.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
J187
Recipes 

Yea, this is what I normally do too. But my wife and I are going to be using a programmable thermostat in the winter to allow the house to go down to 64-65 while we are at work so I'm worried about the carbing bottles experiencing temp swings.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 27

They will still carb with swings.

Quick Reply